Mornington Wilderness Camp on the GRR

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 11:30
ThreadID: 69091 Views:2138 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gday All,
I'm heading up thr GRR in 2 weeks time and thinking of calling to Mornington Station. Has anyone been there, and can tell me if its worth the trip in? Whats to see, what are the tracks in there like, how many gorges are there to see, and any other things to see and do whilst there.
Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 11:42

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 11:42
We'll be on the GRR in late August and will be going to Old Mornington too. We went there in 1997 when it was just getting started but from what you read on the website it's definitely got better and we thought it was good back then.

We canoed on Dimond Gorge and had it all to ourselves...just beautiful. I'm really looking forward to going back and visiting Chamberlain Gorge etc.

Site Link

I hope the link works.

Have a great trip

Best wishes

Viv
AnswerID: 366317

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:01

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 12:01
Hi Nomad,

We were there last year (see our Kimberley blog for more detail) and visited Mornington, enjoyed it very much. There is a radio at the turn off from GRR so you can call ahead to check that they have vacant sites. The drive in is very scenic and the road was good. The campsites are spread along a creek, no fires but good showers and flushing toilets.
We canoed on Dimond Gorge - very windy day so it was a bit scary for novices like us, and its quite a clamber over rocks to get down to the water.
The area is very scenic and there is good swimming at the other gorges and the roads around the various places are quite good, though their signage was a bit minimal.
I would rate is it a GRR must see - allow 3 days to take it all in.
Cheers,
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366320

Reply By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:40

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:40
Well worth it! Run by the Aust Wildlife Conservancy, it has lots to offer, tho you can spend a fair bit there if you allow yourself, even camping. Was there last year for my second visit. Sir John Gorge is excellent, Dimond Gorge is a must to paddle, and the 20km drive from Old Mornington to Dimond Gorge is a very scenic trip in itself. 2-man canoes will cost you about $60/day; on our first trip, we took our own inflatable craft and saved. There are loads of walks. You can get very nice meals at their lic. restaurant, but again a bit pricey. Some nights, they run wildlife lectures which are excellent. A phone call will get you up to date on what's on offer.
Not sure if it's still avail, but as an extra on the way in, Moll Gorge, on Mt House Station is also an excellent camp stop, but you have to book with Mt House, and for a fee, you get exclusive use of the gorge. Absolutely no facilities, but total wilderness and serenity on a magnificent gorge on the Hann River. Last time we stopped there, we paddled about 5km up the gorge in the inflatable, portering across rocks occasionally. You'd need to ring ahead, as they were heavily booked when we last stayed.
cheers,
Gerry
AnswerID: 366354

Reply By: tim_c - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 17:32

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 17:32
If you enjoy walking/hiking there are some nice gorges to see, but you won't see much if you don't get out of the car. Call the station from the radio booth at the t/o and they'll tell you if there are any places available otherwise you'll waste the trip in. Better still, call in advance to make a booking by phone if you know when you'll be going past - we got roused on for just rocking up to the radio booth and expecting a vacancy.

We didn't use the canoes because we didn't want to spend that sort of money there - we just enjoyed the walks. You are not allowed campfires there - I remember the young lady behind the counter almost in tears at the thought of a runaway campfire "I just don't know what would become of all the animals..." Hee hee, I can give you a few clues what *might* happen! ;)

Seriously, we thought it was worth the trip, but then my brother can never drive past something without going there to see for himself what it's like - curiosity is his weakness I think!
AnswerID: 366361

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 07:45

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 07:45
No generators either! Stopped us from going when we were visiting the Kimberley. The blurb reads well and I understand it is possible to see the Gouldian Finch in its native habitat. Overly restrictive for us at the time.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 634307

Reply By: long haired nomad - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 18:35

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 18:35
Thanks to all that replied.
I flew over the place in 2006 from Fitzroy Crossing and from the air it looked magnificent. And from what you all have said it is well worth the trip in.
I was up that way last year but they were booked out. Might have to give them a ring, but i hate pre booking anything as it puts you on a schedule to be there on that day and i hate that.
Cheers
AnswerID: 366370

Follow Up By: tim_c - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 22:40

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 22:40
I couldn't agree more about pre-booking, but unfortunately sometimes you have little choice, particularly during busy times. This time of year on GRR is undoubtedly a busy time!

If you can have a day or two up your sleeve, you could book a likely arrival date, then if you get there a day early, they might be more willing to let you in since you already have a booking. Failing that, you could just spend more time at the previous spot or push on to the next spot and come back - I think from memory the t/o to Mornington is not too far from the next attraction in either direction.
FollowupID: 634288

Reply By: Member - Mark & Michelle + 1 - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 20:16

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 20:16
We are heading across the same area in about 4 weeks. We have made enquiries with Mornington and intend to spend a couple of days there en route to Broome. Be aware that if you are camping, you cannot book sites. It is a matter of ringing from the phone at the GRR road turnoff, checking in and booking for dinner at the restaurant if you intend to be in there for a meal. By all reports from friends who have been there, it is well worth the stay.
Cheers
Mark
Every place visited is a new experience.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366378

Follow Up By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 07:54

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 07:54
Thanks for that info Mark. We'll be there in August.

Viv
FollowupID: 634308

Sponsored Links