NL Pajero 99 model LPG Conversion

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 13:46
ThreadID: 69097 Views:6361 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone advice about getting LPG fitted to my mates 3.5 Litre NL Pajero 99 model. Is it a worthwhile exercise and will he encounter any problems.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbackswine - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:23

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 16:23
Usually there will be a saving of money, as the govt will kick in $2K toward the conversion.

There are many NL's floating around using gas, as long as it's a good quality kit and install it should be fine, just be aware that backfires occur if the leads are old, would pay to replace them at same time rather than blowing airbox apart.

The saving of running an LPG fueled vehicle can be great for some, but a moot for others. If you do lots of metro area driving, then there is likely to be some saving, but if you do lots of rural and remote driving, it can and will cost the same or more to run on LPG than to run on ULP.

Why you ask?

Well in metro areas and semi rural areas LPG can be had for say 60cpl or less, whereas out in the bush, big towns such as Mount Isa where I live sell it for 75cpl everyday regardless of pricing in metro areas, the same applies to ULP and Diesel, we pay almost 20cpl more for both than you pay in metro areas, and the price fluctuates only every couple of months by a couple of cents despite daily changes to price in the metro areas.

Now paying 30% more for your LPG out here will make it far less attractive to convert, but that isn't the half of it. Many of the servo's in smaller towns in the outback, I mean smaller as in Longreach, Winton etc which are still decent size towns with lots of passing traffic will sell LPG at $1/litre everyday of the week, and if you go to the quite small towns like Cammoweal, Three Ways and the like, the LPG will cost $1.20+/litre if it is even available, which in many places it isn't.

LPG will suit some people well, but be pointless for others.
AnswerID: 366350

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:42

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:42
Very good reply by Outbackswine, I did it to the old prado and even with the 69L reserve tank still fitted if the going got tuff we only had a 600k range with both tanks LPG/Petrol, with the pajeros, they remove the original fuel tank to put the gas tank in its place but they make up a roughly 45L petrol tank for starting up on and obviously give you a few klms if you run out of gas. I priced it up for my neighbour who had a pajero at the time and was going to cost him $3250 then your 2k rebate so out of pocket 1250, the only other option was to fit the LPG in the rear of the wagon but he needed all the seats and luggage area, We have done the same thing as each other and bought diesels. His another pajero myn another prado, but I must say had no mechanical issues with the gas and mine was the older vapour system not the newer injected system. My prado used on average 23L per 100k on LPG so at 60c a litre = $13.80, Diesel average 13L per 100k at $1.20c a litre = $15.60 == $1.80 difference this is based on round town figures, so if paying $1.00+ in outback towns as described by Outbackswine for LPG you are behind.........WHG
AnswerID: 366399

Reply By: ozwrangler - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:02

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 19:02
We converted our NM PAjero (2002).
Standard LPG conversions can have problems with backfiring- cost us about $2000 to repair damage done. You'll find a bit of info about it on the net. We also had problems with leaks.
IF you do go LPG, go for the MULTIPOINT injection type which will not backfire. Costs more. Also replace sparkplugs, leads etc. as LPG needs a really good spark, while petrol/diesel can cope with less.
We replaced our system with Multipoint LPG injection, but weren't doing a big trip with the vehicle- mostly local driving/ 4wding.
If I had the choice again, would sell and buy diesel, rather than go for LPG.
AnswerID: 366517

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 01:45

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 01:45
I had 1996 Paj done 3ltr, no problems, Brother has a 3.5ltr 2004 model with a tank fitted, they didnt touch fuel tank so he has a range of over 1200k's when not towing and only problem he had was he wanted the tank squeezed up into the area the under floor rear seats go and the fittgers didn't seal around this so he had huge amouints of dust. This was fixed with a silicon gun and a cpl of hrs spare time, but you shld ask the fitters about it. My brother paid $2650 in Adelaide for his system and of course got the $2K back from the government.

I have a Mitsi challenger 3ltr with the imco computerized system fitted, of course it cost more, about $3800 and the $2k rebate, but it has advantage of running its own injectors etc and gets better milage than manifold injected systems.

Hope this helps a bit.

AnswerID: 366911

Sponsored Links