nissan or toyota 2

Submitted: Monday, Jan 28, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 691 Views:1368 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
am looking at purchasing a cruiser or patrol not new maybe demo or 6 months, what should i be looking for do the vehicles have any problem areas
thanks
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe - Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00
Steve,

None of the Patrols or Nissans have any serious faults (except for whispers about the clutch on the 3 litre diesel Patrols which seem to indicate that it is a little fragile), but if you were a little more specific about your intended use and any preferences you might have it would help the rest of us help you.

For example, do you have a diesel or petrol preference?

Do you want the truck to mostly cruise city streets or are you planning to build something for outback touring?

Cheers

Joe
AnswerID: 1861

Follow Up By: Steve - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
thanks joe, i intend to purchase a 4wd wagon toyota or nissan, with the intents of slowly working on it for the trip around oz in two years time with smaller trips inbetween, and at the moment it would spend 40% time in the bush, as i work out bush and i do enjoy 4wd ing, and definetely diesel manual, prefrebely part time 4wd oh and air con too.
thanks guys
FollowupID: 640

Reply By: Joe - Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
Sounds like you are heading towards the Nissan in a big way.

The 4.2 TD is an excellent vehicle and is tougher than the Toyota as well as being significantly cheaper.

I don't know of any problems with this model.

The 3 litre TD Nissan has some question marks over the clutch, or so I hear, but is otherwise a good rig. It has a much more sophisticated fueling system than the 4.2 but while this will save you money in fuel use it is nothing like as easy to fix when outback and may prove susceptible to poor quality fuel.

Both Nissans use turbos.

The Toyota is available with the standard turbo-less diesel and is pretty tough as well. I believe that it needs more work to get it up to bush spec than the Nissan 4.2 but it really is down to personal choice.

Good luck and enjoy the trips.

Joe
AnswerID: 1912

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Feb 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 22, 2002 at 01:00
thanks for your reply, i been looking and its a shame the nissan doesnt have the front bench seat like the cruiser. how does the economy compare between the two
FollowupID: 767

Reply By: johnsie - Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00

Tuesday, Feb 12, 2002 at 01:00
Steve just a quick word Ive owned a f100 4x4 rangie hilux and driven at work triton duel cabs 80 90 100 series and have a present a 4.2 st patrol series 2. 40.000 k's in 18 months in and around alice springs western qld and sa ,to date no real dramas i've fitted a factory snorkel to helpget cooler air to turbo changed to bfg at's for a truck constucted tyre and steel bull bar and tow-bar. the air cleaner needs constant atten. because it's oil coated the rear doors leak a bit and the air con cuts out to close to the normal operating temp on a 45 c day at 130ks (no speed limits here)so maybe all that will give you a insight. in hind sight the dx would be a better buy for a tourer as its lighter.
AnswerID: 2069

Follow Up By: Steve - Friday, Feb 22, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 22, 2002 at 01:00
thanks for your reply, i have just returned from 3 weeks away,can you explain the air cleaner oil, and whar bullbar are you using, i cleaned up 2 roos the other night and totalled the bullbar on the ford courier
FollowupID: 766

Sponsored Links