Wine Casks in broome

Submitted: Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 20:49
ThreadID: 69109 Views:4939 Replies:12 FollowUps:21
This Thread has been Archived
I have been told that there is a complete ban on the sale of wine casks in broome!

Is this true as I would rather be able to carry casks than bottles of wine.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: trilogy - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 20:59

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 20:59
It was only the 4ltr and 5 ltr about a year ago.Smaller ones ok.
AnswerID: 366390

Reply By: Walda - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:02

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:02
It would not surprise me as when I was there in September, the indigenous people were harassing anyone coming out of the bottle shop near Coles. They wanted either the casks or money.
It was only available for a relatively short time during the day anyway.
In the mornings, I would do a bike ride and the glass was everywhere and often would see the inmates out cleaning up under supervision.
My impression was that they were all homeless and a lot were alcoholics who had been either forced out of their community or moved from elsewhere. Really sad for everyone.
AnswerID: 366391

Reply By: trilogy - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:10

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:10
When a few communities went dry to try and sort the problems,quite a lot just moved to parks in the nearest town, and continued there.
AnswerID: 366392

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:22

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 21:22
http://www.rgl.wa.gov.au/Default.aspx?NodeId=101&DocId=429

looks like wine can only be bought in quantaties of under 1 litre
AnswerID: 366394

Reply By: jezza68 - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 22:08

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 22:08
Yes under the Broome Liquor accord the bottleshops are not able to sell wine in casks over 1lt, beer in bottles over 370mls or alcohol in long neck stubbies.
Yes the itinerant alcoholics have all moved to Broome from Fitzroy and Halls Creek as alcohol is limited to low alcohol only in those towns.
Liquor cannot be purchased in Broome prior to midday also.
AnswerID: 366403

Follow Up By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 23:15

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 23:15
Pretty much on the money. No packaged alcohol over 1 litre, and no beer over 400ml. Fitzroy is total alcohol ban though. The whole Kimberley is much the same, very strong liquor restrictions. If there is a funeral on or family fueds in Wyndham or Kununurra then there is an alcohol ban also. No takeaway alcohol at all. Very sad for the majority.
FollowupID: 634128

Reply By: Member - Matt H (SA) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 22:51

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 22:51
bks,

Sounds similar to what happened in Mt. Isa in 2002 when we were travelling Oz. Shortly after we left in July 2002, the govt banned the sale of cask wine over 2 litres in size.

I would not be surprised if in Mt. Isa and all places north of the Tropic of Capricorn are banning casks.

Why is it that someone else's problem becomes my problem all of a sudden?

I fail to accept the idea that the alcohol related problems of a minority of the population should result in the proabition of said casks for the rest of us!

Again, it's the minority ruling the majority - and with no thanks to the pollies!

Matt
AnswerID: 366409

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 23:04

Saturday, May 23, 2009 at 23:04
It's always the minority dictating to the majority.

Whether it's speed bumps in suburban streets because a few hoons tear up every now and then or a national gun buy back because of one lunatic's murderous actions.

It's all because the majority is silent and can be relied on to stay that way.

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 634125

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 00:00

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 00:00
I notice at yulara instead of banning alchol sales they ban sales to Aboriginals and sighns say no buying for them.

But even that isnt perfect ive got a feeling Ernie dingo got refused service there when it is targeted at the nearby camp
FollowupID: 634129

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:49

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:49
Matt - Thats one of the problems - you not recognizing that it should concern you and be a problem!

Its like any law including driving rules. Rules are made to protect those who can not protect themselves and society as a whole must comply.

All alcohol products should be Clayton's - that way society has a chance, it is getting out of control this drinking problem that most of Australians have. Problem is as you say - most do not see it as their problem.

Chow Tony
FollowupID: 634144

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 00:36

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 00:36
Good

Cask wine should be banned altogether.

Life is too short to drink cask wine.

Carrying bottles has never been a problem.

There is a huge glut of quality Australian wine. None of which comes in a cask.

Quality Australian wine in a bottle is dirt cheap.

Bob
AnswerID: 366415

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:31

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:31
Bob - I would go one step further - I am for getting rid of anything alcohol. In fact any drug not needed for medicinal purposes.

The world would be a lot better place if we could get rid of all these scourges of society.

The benefit of the grape juice does not need to be alcohol based.

Cheers to all with a cup of tea :-) Tony
FollowupID: 634141

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 09:53

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 09:53
Ha! ha!,

Bob,

You have taken the words right out of my mouth.
Wine drinking is a serious but enjoyable experience and I much prefer the promlem of what to do with the empty bottles than downgrade my drinking experience by consuming cask wine. (I transport the empty bottles home with me by the way folks)

Tony,

Are you truly serious mate, or was your comment meant to be "tongue in cheek"?

Bill.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 634154

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:15

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:15
Bill - :-) No Totally serious - but I know the vast majority will just laugh at the comments - no worries.

I got fired from a job once. I was a salesman up in the Far North of WA and was in a mining town pup talking to friends I had made that day. I did not drink and of course it was a mining town they all did. In the pub that night everyone made ongoing attempts to offer me a beer, everyone I turned down polity. My boss got a message that night taht I was just not right for the job.

The qualification I needed was have a drink Mate!

Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 634180

Follow Up By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 16:18

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 16:18
Tony, I appreciate where you are coming from. In Perth, and in most city nightlife spots, you just have to look at Northbridge.

Here are the lyrics of the Mental's "Mr Natural". I reckon it should be every young persons' (and some oldies') personal mantra:

Mental as Anything Mr Natural Lyrics:

I don't drink
I don't smoke
I don't sniff no coke
New age
That's me
And that's what
you should be
I am Mr Natural
You can call me Mr Natural
I don't drive no car
I live by the stars
I don't eat no meat
I am Mr Complete
I am Mr Natural
I am Mr Natural
I don't wear no skin
I don't care who wins
When I know that I'm right
I don't get uptight
I am Mr Natural
I am Mr Natural
Mr Natural
Mr Natural
Mr Natural
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 634199

Reply By: OzTroopy - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 00:47

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 00:47
Read somewhre recently that there is concern up north over the lack of childrens services ... to care for kids whose parents have left them behind to go and get a supply of grog.

The govt (taxpayers) should be taking on this care ?????????
AnswerID: 366416

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:43

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 06:43
Get rid the booze - that sounds good to me. The only role that the Government can now take is to undertake an education program in the schools. People must action this themselves - bans will not work when people are addicted to it. Why they worry so much about smoking when alcohol/drugs do much more damage to society.

Having lived in the North and witnessed the death of generation after generation of people as a result of alcohol & dug abuse we are 40 years overdue in teaching the children the utter destruction of the family unit & thus the community this drug will cause.

This is not a problem restricted to the aboriginal population - just look at the news now a lot of kids only schooll age have started using this drug of choice - Why - They see the parents abusing it and think "It must be Ok then".

Maybe enough people will see that we do not need alcohol - who knows? Cheers with a cup of tea - TONY
FollowupID: 634143

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:10

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:10
Tony,

Nah, tea should be banned too!
It contains tannins and also caffeine, a strong drug that gives people a "sense of well being".

Ban everything!

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 634178

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:17

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:17
Bill - If that is what it takes I will be the first. HooRoo! Tony
FollowupID: 634181

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:07

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:07
bks - I did not intend to hijack your thread - but then I started reading the replies and saw that they ended up typically prejudiced towards our indigenous population, well it has to be said that it is not.

To all people who think this plague of alcohol abuse is restricted to the Northern communities - think again - just look at the news too see

More under the influence driving offenses
More domestic violence under the influence
More crime feeding the need
More child abuse under the influence
More Pub Violence
More parties turning to disaster
ETC ETC ETC.

How many out there can go without a drink now? I have a lot of mates who think the best thing they can do is go on a camping trips together - leave the missus and kids at home and pile the car up with booze. Matter of fact is, the more they take the more they drink and cannot remember the night before the better the trip was.

Most drinkers think they are not part of the problem, but if you drink you are. I was lucky, I had a father that gave me too many scares in a car for me to think that it was a good thing.

Cheers Tony

AnswerID: 366426

Follow Up By: Bushwhacker - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:27

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:27
G'day Tony, many people (not just on here) will disagree with you, but the list of problems you have put forward in this post are, as you say, not limited to any particular group of people.
Newcastle hoteliers have a similar accord re serving drinks at certain times of the night, no 'double shots', locking people in or out at a pre-determined time etc, all due to the behaviour of (mainly) younger people drinking to excess in this area of Australia, and the resultant anti social behaviour.
I had a drinking problem, and if I didn't modify my behaviour, Mrs Bushwhacker would be the EX Mrs Bushwhacker by now. I am not a wowser, but I now drink no alcohol, my preference for a coldie is a non-alcoholic 'beer' brewed by Coopers, called Birell... looks, smells, tastes (sorta) like a beer, but the label says 0.5% alcohol,( just to cover themselve in case there is the slightest residual amout left in the bottle after brewing). I buy it at the local supermarket.
Alcohol in moderation has no great effect on most people, the mate I generally go camping with, drinks around 2 beers a day on average, but some don't stop at two beers... I know I didnt!
Probably goes to show that acohol, like guns, are not the problem, people are. 'Whacker
FollowupID: 634157

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:07

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:07
Whacker - You are right people are the problem, but it also makes life interesting.

As I live in Australia I know most will not agree, I fully expect that response all the time. They have been brought up with the drink not being a bad thing. Only as the future unfolds will the problems that alcohol is causing be obvious to see, we are all too close to it at this time.

Consider that there is a lot of countries where alcohol is banned for good reason. It is another drug society does not need.

This is just a point of view I wish all could share for the sake of the future. I think as time goes on people will turn away from this drug.

As you say some people can stop at one and some can handle a good drink. Its not about moderation - You have to protect those that can not protect themselves.

This statement says it all - True Liberty exists in mans submission to a code of laws.

Am I serious yes - do I mind others wanting & having a drink - NO, not at all! Ive done what I can, practice what I preach :-). Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 634176

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:30

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:30
Alchohol is yet another thing that is dependant on the user.

On its own it is just another liquid in a container.

It certainly has addictive qualities to some and that should be addressed on an individual basis.

The main problem is the constant availability of it from all manner of outlets at all times of the day ... supported by constant in your face advertising to consume the stuff.

Personally ... I believe that a large part of the population drinks the way they do because advertising tells them they have too ... rather than because they enjoy a quiet drop.

Anybody remember the days of ten to ten trading hours / closed for most of sunday / clubs being a fri or sat night event / the higher legal drinking age ???

Been a lot of changes in recent years reinforcing the "need" to drink on an hourly basis and support the poor struggling alchohol industry ... must have been all the right changes tho ... all endorsed by govt ... so who are we to argue .......
FollowupID: 634185

Follow Up By: Nic I - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 14:32

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 14:32
Hi Tony,

As an almost non-drinker, I agree with you - alcohol is by far the worst drug our society has to try and cope with, its direct and indirect effects are more severe and far-reaching than all the other drugs put together.

Australian aboriginals are one of the very few indigenes in the world who had no alcohol of their own, and very little experience of it before Europeans arrived, thus probably explaining why they react so adversely to it.

A good start to alleviate its problem use would be to take the tobacco example and ban all alcohol advertising, along with any association or sponsorship of booze and sport.

It's difficult to do anything positive though, because of the powerful influence the grog industry has on politicians, and because of the reverence many people have for it.

Nic
FollowupID: 634347

Reply By: bks - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:23

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 07:23
While I agreee life is generally to short to drink cask wine I dont want to get to the end of the Cape Leveque road to find a dozen smashed bottles and a 4wd full of supplies floating in red wine.
AnswerID: 366431

Follow Up By: Member - joc45 (WA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:51

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:51
Bottles certainly are a problem, but I've also found that both casks and cans, when bounced for too long, chafe through and one only discovers it when there's that familiar smell in the back of the vehicle, indicating a big cleanup to follow.
FollowupID: 634166

Reply By: Member - Bentaxle - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:26

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:26
I'm not sure on that, but more towns in the north of WA have very strict restrictions on the sale of fortified wines i.e port. And can only be purchased at certain times on certain days. One of the reasons for this is to try and reduce the high level of diabetes in the local indigenous poulation.

Mike
May the fleas of a thousand afghan camels infect the crutch of your enemy and may their arms be too short to scratch.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366457

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 15:13

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 15:13
My solution :)
Dole money is a privilege!
Anyone white or black, if they don’t earn the money the forfeit their rights to buy grog, smokes etc.
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 366478

Follow Up By: get outmore - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 15:47

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 15:47
what about royalty monies from native title settlements, mining and exploration access, National park access payments etc
FollowupID: 634194

Follow Up By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:54

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 18:54
Fair call, but are these paid every week or just in lump sums now and again. If only now and again at least the big bing would not be so frequent?
All this talk of royalty payment has thinking.
Now i wonder if i can put in a claim against the English for taking my GGG granfathers farm in Ireland ? Surely i'm owed some sort of compensation? :)

Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 634221

Sponsored Links