Towing a trailer to Eyre Ck from Birdsville

Submitted: Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 10:35
ThreadID: 69123 Views:2469 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I notice that towing a trailer in the Simpsons desert is "strongly advised against".

Can someone tell me whether that includes the Birsdsville to Eyre Ck segment?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mechpete - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:06

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 11:06
most of the complaints I,ve read relate to people who don,t know how to tow properly out in the soft sand , what Iv,e seen is if you let your tyre pressure down ,on the trailer as well you will be ok . don,t get stuck on a dune an try to dig your way out with wheel spin . that whats upsets people
mechpete
AnswerID: 366452

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:55

Sunday, May 24, 2009 at 13:55
You have Big Red and 24 other dunes to negotiate to get to Eyre Creek and then you have to re-negotiate them to come back including the western face of Big Red.
I am making the assumption that this is a camper trailer and you don't have any other camping gear? Or is it a trailer with motor bikes?
I ask this because personally I wouldn't be taking a camper trailer out there and most definitely not motor bikes - why? Because you are on private property and a working cattle station which is in the process of mustering. The Simpson starts further west of this property.
Hope this helps.
AnswerID: 366472

Reply By: Bezza - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 16:29

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 16:29
Thanks Ruth,
The trailer is a camper trailer- with our cooking gear etc. It is an off road trailer. We could leave the trailer in Birdsville and take camping grear with us, but that would be less convenient than taking the trailer- provided we can get there ok (and back). The car is a landcruiser. We would like to stay there for a couple of nights.

I am assuming that it is quite a nice spot that we would like to stay in?
AnswerID: 366819

Reply By: Pezza (Bris) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 00:25

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 00:25
I was out there a few weeks ago, albeit on a bike, but might I suggest that you look for a camp spot closer in and then just do a trailerless trip to Eyre Ck and return, will only take a few hrs, there is some great camping along the river just before you enter B'ville or go out to the beginning of the desert and have a go at getting over little red, if you succeed then head over to Big red, turn left go over one dune and there is a good camp on your right.
There were some travelers out there towing a rather large alloy boat with gear in it, that managed to get to this second camp spot that i was refering to, left the boats there and went out the next day, so certainly not that difficult, though I don't think it was that easy for them either.

Cheers
Pezza
AnswerID: 366909

Follow Up By: Bezza - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:12

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:12
Pezza- thanks for that- sounds like a good idea.
Thanks for the info about camp sites- just what I'm looking for...
FollowupID: 634602

Sponsored Links