Townsville Caravan Parks

Submitted: Monday, May 25, 2009 at 17:56
ThreadID: 69165 Views:2654 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Howdy folks, can anyone help with some info regarding van parks in the Townsville area?

Our situation is that we will be going over to magnetic Island for a wedding on the long weekend in October & need to find a van park in reasonably close proximity to the passenger ferry terminal.

The girl I spoke to at the tourist information centre was not of much help, so I contacted the wedding venue people who told me that there were two such parks, The Rowes Bay Caravan Park & the Lakes Holiday Park.

Rowes Bay told us they do not take bookings whilst Lakes Holiday Park do & they also offer Van & vehicle storage facility @ $5 per night plus power consumption if used.

We are more than happy with what Lakes holiday park offer but would be interested in any comments from those of you who have first hand knowledge of the area. Cheers & thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D200Dug- Monday, May 25, 2009 at 19:35

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 19:35
I have stayed a few times at this one:

Walkabout Palms Caravan Park? - more info »
6 University Rd, Townsville QLD 4810? - (07) 4778 2480?

On the highway pretty easy to access with good amenities including a great junk food restaurant ( the cops and Army eat there :)

A bit of a distance from the passenger ferry but they may have a tourist bus or the like. There are a few such buses running round Townsville for the backpacker market.
AnswerID: 366668

Reply By: Member - Poppy (QLD) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:40

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:40
Hi Barry
Rowes Bay would be my pick as it is right on the beach and only a short drive along The Strand to ferry terminal.
The Lakes Park is right behind McDonalds and Sizzler's so handy to a quick feed but Rowes Bay is still my choice.
The other park mentioned is a bit far out of town and all the sights.
If you haven't been to Magnetic Island before you will love it and need a couple of days to take it all in
If you need more info MM me as I have been in Townsville for 19 years
Cheers Ray
AnswerID: 366690

Reply By: Member - Craig M (QLD) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:22

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:22
Hi
You have heard of the best of them Rowes bay suffers a bit from sandflies and mozzies at different times of the year.

Our property at Hervey's range is available for camping if you need a break. It may be a bit far out though at 25mins from town. I had a feeling that one of the resorts on the isalnd (horseshoe bay) allowed camping on their lease. Will look further into it and let you know

Craig
AnswerID: 366755

Reply By: greenant - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:57

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:57
Hi Barry F
Just a passing note , there is no long weekend in Qld in October its only labour day in NSW so visitor numbers to Maggie would be like a normal weekend

Greenant
AnswerID: 366759

Reply By: cruisermac - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:15

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 10:15
Barry,

When I stayed at Townsville 2 years ago I found the staff at Rowes Bay to be the rudest I have ever come across.

I was made to feel that I was intruding and that I was not welcome at all.

I would take up the offer from the other park as it sounds to me as though they at least care.

Cheers,

Cruisermac
AnswerID: 366784

Follow Up By: Member - barry F (NSW) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:08

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 12:08
Thanks to all of you for your responses they are much appreciated.
FollowupID: 634474

Sponsored Links