Border Track

Hi we are planing part B of or outback trip having completed the darling river run but had to return home to attend to a few things.

I am looking for info from those who have travelled the track - and also from those who have combined it with a visit top the Murray sunset national park.

Where is the best part to start the trip ( border track)
Which sections contain the steeper section.
We plan to do the trip in early October -

is it wise to take a camper( off road) or better to bush camp.
can it be done with without support vehicle

look forward to your advice
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Malleerv - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:20

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:20
Hi pj,
I have not done the whole border track but I have driven the section from the Mallee Hwy at Pinnaroo south to Red Bluff. This section has some of the largest sand hills on the whole track I am told but mostly its easy driving.

Sorry I cant help more.

Matt
AnswerID: 366684

Reply By: mechpete - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:31

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 20:31
myself and some mates will be on the border trek queens birthday wknd ,have done it several times its a lot of fun ,doubt if you will pull a camper trailer definately not a camper van .start the track from the Murrayville end , you can camp at Ngarcat nat pk .
and red bluff .
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 366685

Follow Up By: pj spinningwheel - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:25

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 21:25
Mechpete

Thanks
Can you tell more about the section above M/ville as we will be close to Mildura and I understand it is one way north south ??

Will I need another vehicle in support
PJ
FollowupID: 634407

Reply By: Crackles - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:12

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:12
PJ the harder section of the Border track starts just south of Murrayville near the turn off to Scorpian springs. (One way section) A couple of the more difficult dunes & the bog holes have been bypassed now but there are still a handfull that present a challenge particually with a camper. We have had campers travel in our group & even the chicken tracks have proved difficult with very low tyre pressure. The track has been opened up considerably but is itchy/scratchy in a few places. Have not travelled the top section following the border (above Murrayville) as others have said there is nothing of much intrest. They have instead cut through the middle of the Sunset country via Rocket Lake down to the Pink Lakes.
When the sand is soft many say a couple of the dunes are harder than the Simpson but after rain becomes quite tame. If on your own you are having trouble in the sand on the Vic side coming down from Murrayville, you would have the option of detouring through SA via Scorpian Springs around to Red Bluff.
There are 2 harder dunes after Red Bluff as well.
Personally I wouldn't tow alone on that track but given previous sand experience, a light high clearance trailer & powerful tow vehicle, it certainly can & has been done many times.
Cheers Craig..............
AnswerID: 366725

Reply By: Robin Miller - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:22

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 22:22
The actual border track to the North of (pinaroo/Murrayville) is very choppy and slow going but little sand and traction is no problem , you just need a good coupling on any trailer.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 366729

Reply By: Blaze (Berri) - Monday, May 25, 2009 at 23:33

Monday, May 25, 2009 at 23:33
PJ

I agree with all other replies, Pinnaroo down to Red Bluff is the steepest but easiest also at this time of year when sand is more compressed. I would start near Yamba Road Block and do the length through Sunset, its well worth a look, Pink Lakes, Shearers Hut, Rock Holes etc.

I'm only 30k's from Sunset, so if you want any info drop into Berri first and look me up, check my profile it has my email addy listed.

AnswerID: 366743

Reply By: Member - Vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:37

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 07:37
We went from Pinaroo to the Renmark road in April this year. The Border Track north is an interesting, easy drive and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I've got a blog about it on exploroz. There were a few high(ish) dunes once we rejoined the border track after a detour to look at the rockholes in the Murray/Sunset but the camper trailer had no problems. There is a very good camp ground near the Merribah gate. My profile photo was taken there.

Viv
AnswerID: 366757

Reply By: mechpete - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 16:21

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 16:21
have only been north as far as the rock holes and its not at all like the section south of murrayville which is the one way section , it was slow going ,very undulating no dunes that I recall
cheers mechpete
AnswerID: 366814

Reply By: mechpete - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 16:25

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 16:25
forgot to mention a good map published by meridian productions
1 :350,000 called, Victorias Deserts touring guide, 2nd edition
cya mechpete
AnswerID: 366815

Sponsored Links