Drain plug seal on Long Ranger fuel tank

Submitted: Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 22:31
ThreadID: 6919 Views:2076 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Help anyone,

what is the seal used on the drain plug / bolt on the long ranger fuel tanks. The one on my '97 GQ has sprung a leak due to spliting and although only minor currently don't want to be running around for too long with it dripping fuel. It looks like a red neoprene or something similar from the edge of it i can see but want to confirm before i buy a new one.

Many thanks

Don
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 22:40

Friday, Aug 29, 2003 at 22:40
Donc,
I would use either copper or aluminium, I suspect that the seal could well be PTFE, this won't last as long as the two materials I've mentioned and they might be a tad more expensive 5 cents instead of 2 cents, I would always use either copper or aluminium, copper first, good to anneal the copper as well if you know how. I always carry some spares in the tool bag as well, you never know when you may have to drain the tank in the bush, you stand a much better chance of re using copper or ally. My opinion of course.Keep the shiny side up
AnswerID: 29609

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:01

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:01
Donc,

I'll endorse Martyn's comments, and go for copper. Another worthwhile product is Loctite "567" Thread Sealant, as well as the copper washer. A smear of 567 will stop leaks, even up to hydraulic pump pressures. Far better than bloody thread tape!

Hooroo...

FollowupID: 20748

Reply By: donc - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:13

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 22:13
Thank you both Martyn and Bob, as soon as i drain the tank low enough i'll pull the plug and fit a copper washer and hopefull it'll never leak again.
AnswerID: 29671

Sponsored Links