Van Water Tank Filler unit came apart, could have been messy.

Submitted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:10
ThreadID: 69216 Views:2615 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our van has the standard lockable water tank caps, and most probably the standard fitting where you put your hose into to fill your vans water tanks.

On Sunday, removed the lockable filler cap and filled up the front tank with water for our next trip. Removed the cap for the rear tank and inserted the hose about 100mm in and suddenly the hose comes loose in my hand.

Further investigation reveals that the filler unit is in 2 parts, one section is where the lockable caps fits into and changes into a 75mm diam tube about 80mm long. A cap PUSH fits on the end of this 75mm tube. The flexible hose is silicon/clamped to the cap and joins to the water tank underneath the van.

I had pushed the cap off the 75mm tube and if un-noticed could have filled a cupboard up with water.

I silicon the cap back on and will get around to doing the same to the other water inlet.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - GeeTee (NT) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:44

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:44
Hi,

You were lucky!!

I filled the cupboard up with water. I have had the van for 12 months and filled the tank many times but this morning whilst preparing for departure to WA via Broome I pushed the hose into the filler and unknown to me pushed the fitting off inside the cupboard. Disaster ! ! I have now made sure it will not happen again!!
AnswerID: 366875

Reply By: Member - Old Girl (QLD) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:56

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 21:56
While we were in Birdsville C/P last year i walked past a Jayco wind up number and noticed water coming out places it shouldnt . It turned out the mains pressure was left on while they were out. The hose came off inside and ended up flooding the whole floor. Poor buggers, after seeing that we never leave the mains pressure on while out now.
AnswerID: 366880

Reply By: Tenpounder - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:16

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:16
Hi there. I just had to say a genuine 'thank you' to all three of you for 2 valuable warnings. Such simple things can lead to such horrible consequences, and the solutions you suggest are also cheap and simple to carry out.
Well done.
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 366936

Sponsored Links