Bike carrier for swing away wheel carrier?

Hi All,

I have a GU patrol with an aftermarket rear bar that has a swingaway sparewheel carrier fitted. I currently have a 33x12.5x15 spare mounted to it. I would also like to be able to carry 4 bikes on the same carrier so that when I need to get into the back of the wagon all I need to do is swing the wheel carrier aside.

Does anyone know if there is a manufacturer of this type of bike rack?

Also would the aftermarket bar be able to handle the spare wheel plus 4 bikes?

Cheers
Mark
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:45

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:45
I've seen this one made by Thule that worked beautifully, but I don't think you'll find anything (legal!) that will hold 4 bikes on the back.
Link here
Image Could Not Be Found
AnswerID: 366893

Reply By: joff1 - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:54

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:54
None, including the thule, that I have found want you using it offroad (or on the back of a caravan for that matter)
AnswerID: 366897

Reply By: Rod - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:19

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 23:19
I have an Allen 303D rack. Alas, only 3 bikes though
AnswerID: 367097

Reply By: ExplorOz - David & Michelle - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 00:35

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 00:35
Not sure if this helps, but the one pictured on the back of our vehicle (see Bike Carrier article in the link box at the top of this thread) comes in either a 3 or 4 bike option. We have the 3 bike option. This is a few years old now, but is the most rugged thing I've ever seen. It's a Swagman brand, marketed by Rhino Rack. As you can see in the pictures in the article the arm swings down. We also have a swing out wheel carrier but this is in dependant of that. Unfortunately, I have no idea of the current availability of these as they are no longer advertising them with us, and I'm not up to date on the latest but maybe look up the name and see what you can find.

MM
David (DM) & Michelle (MM)
---------------------------------
Always working not enough travelling!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367102

Sponsored Links