Landcruiser 100 dsl Fuel Tank

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 07:33
ThreadID: 6922 Views:1537 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My 100 series has a dent in the bottom of the main tank. When I get just below quarter on the fuel gauge it runs out. (not pretty if you are the one behind me, cough-cough). Can anyone suggest anyone in Sydney or surrounds who might repair it for me, or would I be better to look at replacing it. I can get a second hand unit, but am contemplating a long range unit. It already has dual tanks and I dont necesssaraly need to carry the extra fuel. I could only wish I had the time and money to take off for on a trip where the extra fuel would be useful!

spend the money, there are no pockets in a shroud.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eric- Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 08:41

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 08:41
years ago we used compressed air to pop out dints in tank , With you it sounds like you have also damaged the pick up . The problem is, that the pick up may have a crack in it, and it sucks air once fuel passes that point . If it was me , I would never risk it , Replace the bloody thing . Might be the call for a long range tank , mabe even some lift in the body , not to hit it again. Major repairs to tanks should only be done by a pro. Rember that metal is weaker once folded and repaired.
AnswerID: 29621

Follow Up By: Willie - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 08:53

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 08:53
Eric,
I can relate to that very well. We used to 'pop' the Suzuki 2 -strokes' tanks out when out bush up in the NT. Driving off road always had its dangers and the original tanks were made of quite thin tin and dented very easily.
Cheers,
Willie
Never a dull moment
FollowupID: 20744

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 19:47

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 19:47
Gday
If you remove the rear seats and carpet from underneath, you will be able to take off the inspection cover and fuel pickup/float assembly.
Maybe, if you are lucky, a piece of 3x2 with a 4 lb hammer will return it to its former glory. You can also check out the pickup and possibly return it to where it should be in the tank
Andrew
wheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 29649

Follow Up By: fatz - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 11:56

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 11:56
Thanks Dozer, I'm off out to the shed for a look. i'll let you lot know how I go.
FollowupID: 20799

Sponsored Links