Dust and Zippers

Submitted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:13
ThreadID: 69220 Views:2198 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a soft floor camper with the large vinyl cover and will be doing the Plenty Highway next month. With all the bulldust that's bound to be around, is there any sort of spray etc.. that anyone can recommend to keep the zipper free.

Actually any tips on keeping the dust out would be great, I know its virtually impossible but any tips are appreciated.

Cheers

Sevl
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:20

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:20
I've been using a Selley's zipper lube in a spray can and spray it on before I open the zipper every few days on my canvas trailer cover.

Leroy
AnswerID: 366885

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 23:00

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 23:00
One of the hassles with using any sort of a spray Sevi is that the dust collects on the spray and then makes the zip even more difficult to use.

I have found that a quick brush around the zip on arrival at destination and then a couple of sqirts of graphite powder makes it just like new ... no muddy mess. It can't spill and cause a big clean up job and because it's not a spray can, no danger in the heat.

Cheers

Ray
AnswerID: 366899

Follow Up By: Leroy - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:20

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:20
'One of the hassles with using any sort of a spray Sevi is that the dust collects on the spray and then makes the zip even more difficult to use. '

I haven't found this with the above product.

Leroy
FollowupID: 634569

Reply By: Member - Ray Mc (WA) - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 23:00

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 23:00
One of the hassles with using any sort of a spray Sevi is that the dust collects on the spray and then makes the zip even more difficult to use.

I have found that a quick brush around the zip on arrival at destination and then a couple of sqirts of graphite powder makes it just like new ... no muddy mess. It can't spill and cause a big clean up job and because it's not a spray can, no danger in the heat.

Cheers

Ray
AnswerID: 366900

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:54

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 07:54
After heaps of use(living in it for three months with two kids), our door zipper started splitting as you done it up.I thought great, have to have the whole thing replaced but spoke to supplier and they said very rare for teeth to wear, usually just the "zip" so they sent us a couple of new ones down to fit.And they were right, works perfect again.
I never put any lube on the zipper until it started to split(trying to stop it) so was a bit late.But in saying that, our old touring tent did the same and we always lubed it, the whole zip was replaced under warranty with that one.
My thoughts are that its the way they are done/undone that stuff em.Kids seem to just pull/force the zip up while adults "guide" them more.
AnswerID: 366915

Reply By: gke - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 08:18

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 08:18
We have found a spray with silicone works well. It dries and leaves a slippery surface. Does not attract dust. We too have fixed separating zips by installing a new slide. A good quality new one is of a heavier gauge metal than a cheap original.
I put a couple of elastic straps over our vinyl cover to stop it having a "bellows effect" and sucking in air [ and dust] as we drove. Cheers, Graham.
AnswerID: 366919

Reply By: HappyCamper - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:36

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:36
Sevi, a can of silicone spray works wonders on zips but if you're worried about it collecting dust (never been a problem on my tent zips) you can rub a cake of bath soap along the zipper teeth. If you get caught in heavy rain then the soap will wash off but it's easily reapplied and also a good substitute if you run out of silicone spray.

A candle or stick of dry lube will do the same, although tend to collect some dust.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)
AnswerID: 366990

Reply By: Sevro - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:15

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:15
Thanks heaps everyone. Once again the forum comes to the rescue.

Cheers

Sev
AnswerID: 367020

Sponsored Links