Pig hunting or shooting in the gulf region

Submitted: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:23
ThreadID: 69221 Views:13697 Replies:4 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am about to make my first trip from Tamworth NSW to the Qld gulf country with my wife in late june early July mainly for sightseeing but being an old digger and bushy and now retired farmer I will have the odd rifle in the ute and will be looking for an opportunity to hunt feral pigs.
It appears to be politically incorrect to ask about these things these days and internet searches at best will lead you to very expensive safari operations. I believe farmers up there as here are only too greatfull to have pig numbers culled.
As my time will be short there I was hoping that someone may be able to lead me in the right direction as to where I could go or who I might ask in advance to get permission to camp and hunt legally. Needless to say I am fully licensed and highly experienced.
Just hoping someone can help. Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:30

Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 22:30
I'll be up at Wiepa probably in the first week of July. Contact me at kimmc@satlink.com.au

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 366888

Reply By: wild dog - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 09:12

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 09:12
Interested to hear how you get on. On a fishing trip to Topsy Creek last year we went through a couple of large stations which had just been sold. The new owners had let everybody know absolutely NO Shooting, on the way from Kowanyama into Topsy there were pigs everywhere.

It seems as if all of us registered licensed shooters are being treated the same as the weekend yahoos that shoot anything and let their dogs chase anything.

While there's lead in the air there's hope, I suppose.
Best of luck!!
AnswerID: 366928

Follow Up By: DIO - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:35

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 10:35
Property owners are faced with considerable responsibility these days not only for their staff but anyone else who happens to be on their property. Hence the increased limitations for shooters to destroy feral animals etc. Sometimes property owners will allow groups from recognised organisations onto their land for the purpose of destroying pigs, goats etc otherwise they have severe reservations regarding the credentials, qualifications, mental state, skills and responsibility of strangers. Best policy therefore is NO SHOOTING or HUNTING. Remember, the property does not have an obligation to allow anyone onto his land for the purpose of hunting - unless they choose otherwise. If you want to fire your weapons, join a club and go to a range. Definetly the best and safest place for such activity.
FollowupID: 634594

Follow Up By: wild dog - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:00

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:00
Absolutely agree with you DIO. My background is in the cattle industry and am fully aware of the property owners rights and would act in the same manner if I had outlaid millions of dollars on stock and infrastructure.

As with most things in life though a few will make life hard for the majority and gun owners are all put in the criminal class whether they are responsible or not.
As for joining clubs and going to rifle ranges I don't know whether you've noticed but developers and councils and state govts. are doing their best to close ranges down as quickly as they can and put units on them.

It's a double whammy if you drive a 4wd and shoot.
The feng shui brigade don't want either in society, maybe they're right, we should all just sit around drinking herbal tea and driving the latest imported rice rocket.
FollowupID: 634598

Follow Up By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:08

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 11:08
Interesting thread as hunting/shooting is as much about the outdoors as anything else. I can see the landowners dilema particularly where government also requires them to have a plan for managing ferals. In the Courier Mail today that responsibility is also now in place for deer with 4 breeds being declared a pest.

It is a bit of a lucky dip for the farmer unless the shooter comes via a contact.

Kind regards
FollowupID: 634600

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:37

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:37
Hi All,
I was thinking as I am also a licensed gun owner ,if it was possible to obtain insurance or even some sort of certificate for hunting to produce to the property owners so it may ease there minds ,I shoot at a property near Gilgandra and as soon as we get there we pay the cocky a visit to let him know we are in the shearers quarters and ask him does he need a hand with anything during the day ,he usually comes up with something IE: Fencing (which we keep a roll on the ute as we cruise around the property anyway ) we also help with stacking his feed and repairing his cattle grid and as most of us are Mechanics he always has spare filters and oil and brake pads waiting for us to put on his Vehicles.
He comes over for dinner a couple of times and enjoys the bacon and eggs in the morning LOL! this is why I like to go away we have a no grog rule even thou we take a carton for him and we have a ball ,the shooting is only part of the week long holiday ,but when I tell friends they say yeah yeah sure ,I am going away next year for 9 months and I have been asked by a mate if I'm taking a gun, I want to work while away and I was thinking that I may end up on a property but I think the hassles outway the benefits of taking one ,I hope you find a few property's to hunt mate as that would make me hopeful that there are still owners out there that trust this old Aussie past time .

Regards John.
FollowupID: 634659

Follow Up By: Krakka - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:25

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:25
Howdy John, In regard to obtaining insurance, your house insurance covers you for $20 million public liability usually. I have been asked by a farmer to produce a current household insurance policy for this purpose before.

For DIO, "If you want to fire your weapons, join a club and go to a range."
GET REAL!!

If you want to use your 4wd, join a club and go to Landcruiser Park.
We live in Australia, NOT RUSSIA.

Regards

Krakka

Ron M should be just about to come out of the woodwork now. The resident Rambo basher!!!!
FollowupID: 634679

Follow Up By: D22 navara 05 - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:05

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:05
Thanks John & Krakka for the moral support. John, there are real benefits in joining the SSAA (Sporting Shooters Association of Australia) With your $73 annual subscription you get 12 copies of their shooting magazine and an ID card that states that you have $12,000,000 insurance cover. Usually does the job in getting property owner permission so long as you have the leads. Which is what I am seeking here. The SSAA also sponsors conservation hunting ie getting rid of all the ferals that are causing problems in National Parks and for farmers. A investment.
DIO I have one thing to say: The possession of a shooter's licence it total recognition of your excellent standing in the community you are not insane, do not have a criminal record, are responsible etc which is much more that can be said for many of those who do not have a licence so when you next meet a firearms owner you can be sure of his/her creditentials but beware of the person who does not have a licence for there could be very sound reason as to why he does not.
Thanks cobbas for the debate
Peter (D22 navara05)
FollowupID: 634704

Follow Up By: wild dog - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:37

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:37
Just for interest sake Peter,since your first post I've been talking to my brother this afternoon and he has just done a canoe trip down the Mitchell. One of the caretakers on a property with chiller bins told him he's put 17 ton of pigs in since Xmas.
So obviously there's no shortage

Him and his son shot 4 out of the canoe using a .30-30 so they can't be too touchy up that way.
FollowupID: 634709

Follow Up By: Gramps - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:35

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:35
Peter,

"beware of the person who does not have a licence for there could be very sound reason as to why he does not"

LOL well put

FollowupID: 634730

Follow Up By: Johnny boy - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:45

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:45
Hi Peter,
Thanx for the info ,I did not know about the Insurance cover with SSAA but now that you mention it, it does ring a bell I have been a member ever since the licences tightened up so I should have been more aware, but life's a little too busy sometimes, and Wild dog 17 ton!! that's allot of Swine I cant Imagine how much trouble they have been causing the owner?

Regards John.
FollowupID: 634792

Reply By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:14

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:14
The above is all pretty much true, and a reflection of the times. You won’t get on many properties these days without an introduction, or meeting a grazier in a pub who’ll size you up pretty quickly.

Many stations are now incorporated, rather than family owned, and have a no shooting policy.

Have a look at http://www.ssaansw.org.au/Library/tilterweira%20station.pdf

I had a running blue with the SSAA for a long time in what appeared to be the Americanization of the organisation and clap trap.

To their credit they seem to have a more rational approach to gun ownership and education. On that basis I’ll renew my membership before going away.

Regards

Kim
AnswerID: 367039

Reply By: Angler - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:40

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:40
Check out this page. I know the operator and he is reliable. He is based in Cairns.

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~bamster/
AnswerID: 367069

Sponsored Links