Rear Window Protector

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:12
ThreadID: 69234 Views:3336 Replies:13 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Watched a DVD on the weekend about 3 vehicles touring outback Oz. It showed the owners of 2 of the vehicles fitting a plastic rear window protector. It was slightly curved with approx 20 - 30 small suction thingos to secure it to the glass. It had a large sticker on it, "Menzel Windscreen Protector".

Now the people in the DVD were from Adelaide way and sure enough a search on Menzel in that city showed Menzel Plastics of Melrose Park.

I have a 07 SWB Pajero and was looking for such a thing but when I gave them a call they weren't sure if they actually sold these. I am still waiting on them to get back to me so in the meantime was wondering if anyone can shed any light on these or similiar protectors that I can purchase. I live in Melbourne.

I have read a few threads in the past on the subject but thought that something purpose built for the Paj. would be ideal.

I would tackle it myself but as the windscreen is slightly curved I can see me stuffing it up completely.

Any thoughts??

True Blue.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:44

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:44
$5 sheet of corflute from the signwriters and a roll of duck tape and all is well and works fine. Use same on mine when towing a camper trailer out in the desert.

Alan
AnswerID: 366993

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:47

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:47
Thick clear plastic from Spotlight or similar stores, stick on with velcro tabs or as above duct tape

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 366994

Reply By: tim_c - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:51

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:51
I would expect the back window to be the same for LWB and SWB Paj's - they should be reasonably common.

If all else fails, I've seen people tape a couple of layers of corrugated-cardboard over the back window (make sure it's not touching the paint anywhere) - you won't be able to see out the back window, but you probably can't see much there when you're towing anyway!
AnswerID: 366995

Reply By: PandJ - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:51

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 15:51
Hi True Blue,

If and when you get a reply from Menzel Plastics please post the info on this site. I for one am interested. Thanks P&J
AnswerID: 366996

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:28

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:28
Word of caution - I have seen a number of windscreens still broken when covered with cover that had suction caps on it - in gibber country, and I only speak for the Birdsville gibber country, the rocks and stones are able to still get down the gap left by suction gaps.
I travel this area all the time and re-use corflute (old election signs are wonderful because who cares if the pollies get showered in rocks!!!!) - or else a beer carton. We used to tell what state the tourists came from by the type of beer carton on the back.
If you are going to use some sort of a cover and you are towing a caravan, then a very good idea is to cover the front of the van with something as well.
AnswerID: 367011

Reply By: The Landy - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:32

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 17:32
Try these guys. I purchased a set for a previous Landy; turnround time was quick.

obiesoutback

Cheers

AnswerID: 367012

Reply By: grumpy mick - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:02

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:02
Try Mike O,Brien 0418 513 437 www.obiesoutback.com.au He has a perspex protector makes for any vehicle. Uses velcro to attach sounds strange but works. I bought one off him a couple of years ago & Tow a caravan on all of the best roads. Probably saved at least 6 rear windows. Be prepared to replace the velcro after a couple of years of dusty travels.
Mike
AnswerID: 367016

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:19

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:19
Here's a link to Menzel Plastics
AnswerID: 367022

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:27

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 18:27
Ive just made one from clear sheeting I got from Bunnings.The window in our cruiser has a fair curve over it also.I used two sheets(cheaper to buy two smaller than one larger sheet) and then cut slots about 6" in 6 places in each sheet to help it bend around screen.I put little bubble "thingys" to hold it away from glass and originally used velcro dots but found these didnt hold well so bought a length of velcro and cut strips off(about 4").This holds well.
There is a post on it a few months back.
AnswerID: 367023

Reply By: AlanTH - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:11

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:11
I bought some 3mm perspex for about 20 bucks and cut it to shape of the Defenders rear windows and stuck it on with velcro.
Worked OK but you could do the same with carboard as after a while the dust gets so thick you can't see through the back window anyway.
Alan.
AnswerID: 367027

Reply By: Member - MUZBRY(Vic) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:59

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:59
Gday
I made my own from 1mm rigid pvc. I stick it to the window with sticky back neo sponge that i also have in stock.It must work as i have not had a broken window .
Another chap i know uses 1mm soft pvc and elastic bands .
Murray
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367034

Reply By: Member - Julie P (VIC) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 09:14

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 09:14
We made our own from a product similar to perspex - but it is uv rated so sun won't crackle it like perspex - perspex suppliers in Seaford - quite cheap - suction caps - Clark Rubber - to suit curve - cut in two pieces.
Attaching with velcro strips is fine - up to a point - unfortunately if you get it wet often enough and dirt gets into it - it can lose its grip - also hot sun melts the adhesive backing and your cover can slip off.
Of course, we found all this AFTER we broke our rear window - $1000 later.
The Obie outback one is available online - quite reasonable - comes with velcro - but you can always put suction caps on - we got the one with screws and drilled holes through the cover.
jules
AnswerID: 367120

Reply By: True Blue - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:15

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 17:15
Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Fantastic response from you all. Many great ideas here. Will help heaps.

By the way, Menzel Plastics got back to me and quoted me around $180 for the protector. I was to supply them with a template and they would work out the cost which "would be around $180 plus cartage".

Plenty of good cheaper alternatives here.

Thanks again and happy travels to you all.

True Blue.

AnswerID: 367187

Sponsored Links