Battery Isolator

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 09:32
ThreadID: 6924 Views:1751 Replies:5 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am about to install a Rotoronics battery isolator into my vehicle. The fitting instructions say that one should fit the unit as close as possible to the Main Battery. My problem is that my main battery is under the passenger seat. I have space under the dashboard but will have to run a least a metre or two of wire to get to the battery. Can anyone offer suggestions of other alternatives?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willie - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:17

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:17
William,

I fitted the Rotronics MH10 in the engine bay next to the Auxilliary Battery. My main battery is also under the front seat. Opposite Lock(where I bought the unit) wanted to sell me a cable kit worth $70. Instead I bought a set of jumper leads, cut the ends off and fitted battery connectors all for $15. The distance to the main battery is about a metre or more. The isolator works really well.

Cheers,

Willie
Never a dull moment
AnswerID: 29627

Reply By: Goona - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 15:31

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 15:31
I was the same don't buy the extra "must have cable kit with the fuseable link" that they say you must have. At the end of the day the jumper lead does just the same job if not better at quite a substantial saving. My unit would be about 1 m away from the batteries and they are still going strong after 3 years of service with no problems yet touch wood.
AnswerID: 29638

Reply By: Phil G - Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 20:35

Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 20:35
The reason Rotronics ask you to install it close to the main battery is because the unit needs to measure the starting battery's voltage and voltage drop can alter it. If you have the thick cables you won't have a problem.
AnswerID: 29656

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 13:00

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 13:00
When you fit this up, make sure the cable is secured properly to the undercarriage or inside the cabin. Keep it away from where sharp edges are or rubbing surfaces and all will be ok.
Jumper lead cables are a good idea :-)
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 29701

Reply By: ThePublican - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 15:50

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 15:50
Had no room for the Rotronics anywhere near the main batt,, no room for aux batt under bonnet either so fitted aux batt in behind rear seat [ shortened 1 drawer in drawer unit, r/hand side has fridge slide above =easy access ] fitted Rotronics same place ,,never had 1 problem,, voltage drop is so minimal,, look in archives as cannot recall, was something like .005 volts between main and aux and .007 volts between aux and 3rd batt in camper trailer.
AnswerID: 29713

Sponsored Links