TJM

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:00
ThreadID: 69242 Views:2794 Replies:2 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Apparently TJM is closing there manufacturing plant in QLD everything is coming from China, God help us!! the beginning of the end.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:29

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:29
I just read an article about Victa lawn mowers, i actually thought they had moved to China but they are now owned by Briggs & Stratton and still manufacturing their faithful @ stroke engine here in OZ! The say that manufacturing in China is only 15% cheaper and not worth the move.. Everyone knows what to do with TJM, dont buy their products.. There is better products to be had locally anyway!! Vote with your wallet..

Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367030

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:46

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:46
Is Victa manufactured in Sydney??

Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634712

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:00

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:00
Kev!! They were just around the corner from us at Milperra (south west sydney), I actually thought they had moved to China but apparently not, they are still manufacturing here somewhere and they plan to expand their business into other areas of the lawn products area, it gave me a warm glow to know that they are still here, so there is some hope for manufacturing in Australia yet!! Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 634717

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:57

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:57
Had a suspicion the engines were made in Adelaide. Not at the old Scott Bonner factory, but somewhere in the western suburbs. CBWT.

Louie
FollowupID: 634739

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:37

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 06:37
Michael,

I thought they had moved to Moorebank, into the new industrial area off the M5, hence my question LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 634791

Reply By: wild dog - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:22

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:22
After spending 2 years working on Chinese tractors and agricultural machinery I agree with the last half of your sentence.

A lot of people say the Chinese are starting off with their manufacturing like the Japanese in the 60's.
Toyotas in the late 60's were light years ahead of the present standard of Chinese manufacturing.
Firstly they need to get their head around casting steel.
Chasing a loss of hydraulic pressure for hours only to find blow holes in cast housings can really ruin your day.
Then think about details like chamfering the edges of drillings that have to take shafts with O rings. Cut O rings leak oil don't they???
Surely, that stuff was sorted out last century.
A lot of the problems with their products are quality control issues but there appears to be no interest in rectifying them.
AnswerID: 367041

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:47

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 20:47
I agree,
China have no idea about machinery manufacture, they just copy what is on the market and they dont really know why something is made like it is. Therefore they cannot apply the engineering needed to ensure longevity of the machine.. But dont worry, there are thousands of outside companies showing China how to build quality machinery. So in the end, they will take the worlds' technology and produce cheap, top class goods and compete against the companies that gave them the technology.. its coming!! Michael

Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 634735

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:00

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:00
I worked for a multi-national who make the best products in their field. A Chinese company was making copies of the high-end products and selling them against the 'genuine' thing. So the company bought the Chinese company, changed the company ethos, sent some engineers from around the world there, introduced their European manufacturing methods and built a product that was equally as good as the real thing.

Louie
FollowupID: 634740

Sponsored Links