VMS GPS?

Submitted: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 19:54
ThreadID: 69243 Views:7062 Replies:2 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, I was wondering if any one out there has purchased a VMS GPS latley, and how they found it with there topo maps, I recently bought the magellan crossover and will be returning it tomorrow as every retailer has informed me of their downfall with there topo maps and the way you cant load any more maps, connect with other software and it's general useless ness, I know that the hema navigator is actually a VMS unit and was curious to here some reports
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:23

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:23
The hems unit works fine. It has street directions plus has Oziexplorer and Memory Map plus it has all the hema maps plus the 250000 natmaps installed.

Memory Map does not have the features of Oziexplorer but the features it has work ok.

I prefer Oziexplorer as would most on this site.

The major downfall of the hema unit I find is that my ageing eyse cannot see any map detail on the small screen. Street navigation is ok on a small screen but not detailed topo maps.

Now if the hema was 7" screen???????

The VMS in dash AVNC 3000 would be ideal but costs $2500. It comes with street navigation and Memory map for topo maps but can be optioned to have oziexplorer. It comes also with all the hema maps and the natmap topo maps.

Your solution will depend on your vehicle and your use for navigation.

Alan

AnswerID: 367062

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:49

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 21:49
Incorrect The Hema is a rebadged MIO.........520 I think
Check on the GPSAUSTRALIA forum
AnswerID: 367071

Follow Up By: Straydingo - Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:27

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 at 22:27
I'm not an expert in these things, but I've spent half the day looking at different gps units. I found a few web sites advertising the "VMS Hema" units, a Hema site with VMS logos and there are a number of 'similarities' in the VMS and Hema sites. I did find something that said 'Hema, powered by VMS'. So it's maybe a Mio, but still using VMS technology somewhere along the way

Cheers
Andrew
FollowupID: 634768

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 00:21

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 00:21
Hi
Yes the Hema Nav shares some specs with Mios but its main drawback is that it doesn’t run same operating system as the Mio. Current batch of Mio's use Windows Mobile operating system so (when “unlocked”) can run any software that works on this platform such as OziCe, Garmins Mobile XT, TomTom etc.

The Hema Navigator as suggested uses some sort of "special” VMS operating system - so they have full say on what you can run and cant. Ozi, Route 66 and MemoryMap have come to party and supplied special versions of their programs that work on the Hema (VMS) unit but that is close to end of the story.

Other issue (if it is an issue) is that, for example, OziCE updates lag behind on the VMS unit compared to what others get to play with on windows mobile units. The current version of the "normal" version of OziCE has many good features that the Hema version doesnt..eg Course up, 3D view.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 634786

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 07:29

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 07:29
Greg, the VMS actually uses Windows Mobile Version 5 only with their own front end rather than the pictorial or graphic interface. They limit what you can run because some would continue to load all sorts of memory hungry stuff. I actually find mine very stable. More so than the Win CE 2003 on my Dell PDA

Incidently I am using Ozi CE developer versions all the time and even when they discovered I was using them, said just that they had thought them less stable. Certainly not.

I imagine, just like any PDA, or on mine, you can load the software on the SD card [SDHC 16gig for me] and run it from there. I could install the Ozi Explorer through the interface, then just add the updated Ozi Dev version and edit my Screen Designer requirements - a red screen isn't bad at night.

The Memory Map software is pretty awful unless you have had NO mapping experience, though the maps you can buy are OK. The map dot IS a dot, not even an arrow to show your direction, so you have to see it move to know the direction you are going.

The NavNiGo iGo8 software is great for turn by turn and the system has now got the latest 15.1v Sensis Mapping, which I would like on my SD card.

Running everything from the card in the way of mapping, means more memory to work your maps. I love it.
FollowupID: 634794

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 09:11

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 09:11
Will the VMS unit take oziexplorer, Im after a unit that you can load decent topo maps ,(They dont have to be the best but good will be better then the magellan), while being able to access my way points and trils that I have travelled and plot them on a map, and a unit that dosn't cost an arm and a leg. I was thinking of the touring 430 by VMS because my eyesight is still reasonabley o.k.(Just)
FollowupID: 634806

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:14

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 11:14
I have not looked at the way the menu system and the console within the VMS 430 system operates Inkbandit, but with my internal one, it is easy peasy.

Do you know of the GPSOZ Forum pages? I actually bought my system through GPSOZ mail order in Sydney. They are great to do business with. If you call them there will be several that know it well.
FollowupID: 634827

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 14:14

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 14:14
Well there you go - learn something everyday ...so can you unlock the Hema to run other programs I wonder? Also what version of OziCe does it ship with and can you update it to the latest. I was under the impression you couldnt because of strange operating system (but obviously I was wrong - not sure where i git that idea form??) - also notice you can connect HEMA to PC with Activesync...so maybe you can just run OziCE update?

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 634860

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 16:18

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 16:18
We can make some assumptions Greg.Mine stays in the car, I just take out the SD card and copy the OziCE Developer file on and away it goes provided I set the menu option to search for the particular file. It came with Memory Map remember. I can't say that for the HEMA as I have never played with one, but I think it has optional mapping.

The VMS people don't support Ozi, but you and I probably know enough to not need their support on Ozi. They support Memory Map which is a much simpler mapping software that you can quickly become too familiar with - and then ditch. Good for people less familiar with PDAs and foibles and look for performance. The version I had I tired with in a day or so. No challenges.

My system gives ready access to selection of radio, Bluetooth for phone, DVD, USB memory stick up to 8 gig for music, iPod [no I don't have one] and two mapping options. It can have two cameras, outputs to a separate video screen for the DVD and an auxiliary input that will take sound and video

With the two mapping options, you have to escape from one to get to the other and you go through the GPS console which allows the closest access to the operating system. That is where you can get to load Ozi, instead of Memory Map.
FollowupID: 634888

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 16:47

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 16:47
I Just spoke with VMS directly and they used to power the Hema but after business contradictions they parted ways so Hema have now developed thier own GPS unit it will be interesting to see how the new unit compares seems they make maps not gps units? But the VMS unit will run oziexplorer they just choose not to verbally support it, due to product support. For me i'm off to by a VMS
ps: if you want one of the old navigators check the back of the box to see if it is powered by VMS

pps: i have no afiiliation with Either company at all just happy with the product im about to purchase
FollowupID: 634891

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 19:22

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 19:22
it also looks like VMS is a new sponsor of this site!
FollowupID: 634922

Follow Up By: Paul (WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 19:47

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 19:47
Hi,

I have the VMS3000 in car system also. Have found all the features to be excellent. The Memory Map software is pretty user friendly, even if it is not as good as Oziexplorer, which I also had and used with a Garmin Quest to record and upload tracks to before I purchased the unit.

Memory Map may not have all the features that Oziexplorer has, but it is pretty easy to create routes, tracks and waypoints on when you are in the car. You can also easily bring up a pop up window that gives you your current time, speed, bearing, latitude and longitude. Whilst your position on the map is a dot, there is a red line that radiates to the edge of the screen from your current position to show you your current heading - very easy to follow.

You can bring up pop up window of elevation and speed profiles on your current track (snail trail if a track has not been created) or the track you have programmed in and are following.

Not sure whether I would continue to use Memory Map in the future but I have used it in the bush for navigating and found it to be quite good.

The VMS unit itself is excellent. I have an IPod (cable feeds from the unit into the glove box) and use it connected to the unit - works well and charges the IPod at the same time. Also have 2 cables feeding into the glove box for rear screen capability if required.

Bluetooth, TV (when stationary), DVD and reversing camera all work well.

Hope that helps,

Paul
FollowupID: 634928

Sponsored Links