Steep Point (WA) Access?

Hey guys and gals. Heading on a fishing trip up to Gnaraloo in the Northish West and my mate has just said he really wants to check out Steep Point. I've been checking online for track conditions but not finding much over than "it's 4WD access only".

I've got a Subaru Forester which I take offroad on a regular basis and I always push the car hard and to its limits.
Will the access road be passable in a 'soft roader'?

Has anyone driven this track recently? I'm sure some of you have as it's a major fishing location for the country.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Pat (vic) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 19:01

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 19:01
Have a look herehttp://www.steeppoint.com.au/
you will have to register but you will get all the info you need.
Cheers Pat
AnswerID: 367207

Reply By: equinox - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 20:01

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 20:01
"Will the access road be passable in a 'soft roader'?"

Yes - Easy Peasy....especially if you continue to push the car hard and to its limits..

I went there in 2006 because it was a significant geographical feature..not because it was a significant 4WD challenge.

Cheers
Alan

Looking for adventure.
In whatever comes our way.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367224

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:52

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:52
Hi Elliot

Have been to Steep Point fishing for the last two years. If you don't book in with the onsite ranger he will just ask you to turn around and leave. 5hr trip in and then a 5 hr trip out. The track is only 120km from the bitumen but a lot of it is so heavily corrugated you just can't go fast over it unless you want to break something. You may be lucky and go on the week the shire puts a grader through.

The second half of the track is a winding track through and over sand dunes so you would need to be confident at sand driving. You must let your tyres down to max 20psi and the ranger will check if he thinks they look too hard and there is a fine for chopping up the tracks with too hard tyres. Some of the dune tracks require a bit of a run up and I have seen some guys really struggle with under powered and over loaded rigs.

Once there there are no toilets to speak of - unless you like to retch while you sit. There are also no trees at all around camp. Most people take a pop up toilet tent and dig a hole below. You can obtain extra water from the ranger's desal plant at a cost. $5 per 20litres.

Once there it is totally worth it even if you don't fish. Scenery, whales swimming past, sunsets, clear water with 4m tiger sharks metres from shore.

Image Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be FoundImage Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367257

Follow Up By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:53

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 21:53
Forgot the shark that was lurking near shore where we would swim or shore fish.

Image Could Not Be Found

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 634961

Follow Up By: Member - Elliot William P (WA) - Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 22:59

Thursday, May 28, 2009 at 22:59
Thanks for the info mate. Yeah, I'm all fine with rough camping and sand driving (much experience doing both) so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm going to call the ranger tomorrow and see what he says and probably book ahead.

I'm very keen on the fishing and surfing (although as far as I'm aware the surf is non existent there) and just the overall taking in the scenery. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for the replies mates.
FollowupID: 634979

Reply By: Member - sparra - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 09:44

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 09:44
g'day elliot, the shire has been working on the road from the bitumen end,so far they are between tamala and carrarang stations and we have had our grader working from fosters grid to the windmill at useless loop turnoff. be aware of roadtrains carting in gear for the port upgrade here at "the loop"
(i live at useless loop)

have a safe trip, cheers, sparra
no good being the richest man in the cemetry

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367353

Sponsored Links