Roof top campers not tents.

Submitted: Tuesday, Jan 29, 2002 at 01:00
ThreadID: 693 Views:3972 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm hopping that someone out there will have first hand experiences or knowledge of long term travel in a roof top camper. The style I'm talking about are like the Aussie Traveller or Ship Shape (I think that's the spelling)not the imported ones we are starting to see now that are basically a tent on the roof. I have a 3.0l petrol GQ patrol and in the very near future will be organising a trip around Aus for about 12mths. It might sound a little long in a camper like this but I've decided it opens up a lot more opportunities and when we get sick of it can rent a unit or caravan for a few days.

My questions are: how well does the Patrol's roof handle this weight plus 2 people on top for extended times, does the gutter crack?; are they really water proof as they state?; what long term problems have you heard of?; and most importantly where do you suggest is the best place to buy them second hand?

I'm in a regional area so not sure of what would be the best medium to look at for purchasing a second hand model when I'm down in Brisy next week.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Raymond Charlton - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Ray
We have been using a Eezi-awn rooftop tent for three years and it is great. The big advantage is that it only takes up half a roof rack and with a patrol which we have you need the roof for the other spare. They fold out ver the back of the vehicle giving you cover. They are much warmer than tents on the ground. We have been in severe winds and tropical downpours without any problems
Ray
AnswerID: 1900

Reply By: Carol - Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00

Thursday, Jan 31, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Ray - we have a Patrol and have just purchased an Open Sky Howling Moon roof tent - We are very pleased with it - plenty of room plus for two and our little pooch. Also the mattress is thick and very comfy. It sits on roof racks on back half of vehicle and opens up over back doors, thus creating an awning effect. Ladder takes most of the weight. Our patrol has a large sunroof so couldn't have had anything bigger. We like the thought the snakes & crocs cannot get into bed with us! One problem we have is that we are both only 5ft 4" and so use a very light step ladder to erect. Good luck Carol
AnswerID: 1902

Follow Up By: Colin - Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
I have only ever tented - the roof top tents look great, but what do you do when staying in one spot for a few days and you want to go driving - isn't it a pain having to pull down and then set up again, and lose camp site ??
FollowupID: 646

Follow Up By: Colin - Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00

Friday, Feb 01, 2002 at 01:00
I have only ever tented - the roof top tents look great, but what do you do when staying in one spot for a few days and you want to go driving - isn't it a pain having to pull down and then set up again, and lose camp site ??
FollowupID: 647

Reply By: Ray - Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00

Saturday, Feb 02, 2002 at 01:00
Hi Guys,

Have just realised the messaged got posted twice for some reason. Thanks for the replies I appreciate all the responces, the more tips and knowledge I get the better the chance for few mistakes (less expense). I've certainly thought of the roof top tents since travelling through the desert with a couple that used a similar set up and saw how little space it took and how easy was the set up. I'm thinking that for the 12mth trip though I'd probably count on the room off to the side quite a bit so may go this way. Another 15% in fuel, yeeouch, already my rig is expensive to run and I don't get the performace to match the fuel. Ooh well the trade off is that I don't spend all my money on another vehicle and have a bit more to spend on the way around. I'll keep all the views in mind when making my purchase.

Thanks
AnswerID: 1922

Sponsored Links