Navara D40

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 15:51
ThreadID: 69304 Views:5884 Replies:6 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi

I have just bought a new STX D40 man diesel and it is really good. Tons of room, great value for money and ride comfort is good. However my last car was a 6lt V8 ute so im missing the get up and go it had. I have been looking at putting a new exhust system and dump pipe in as well as chipping.

I was wondering if anyone has done this or have any thoughts on doing it to the D40.

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mark S (cns) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:01

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:01
Here's what I reckon:
How much more power can you 'safely' get out of an already tweaked out force-fed little 2.5l 4cyl diesel? Maybe better to have got the 4l v6 petrol version. I reckon you would get more out of this motor by chipping & exhausting it?
Just my thoughts loooking in from the outside......

cheers
AnswerID: 367415

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:44

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:44
Yes the Holden and the Mazda had 3ltr motors with around 120kw - If you wanted more power I suggest you should have brought more power. It is no use playing around with this size motor, for what you gain it is just not worth it. If you brought it to go 4x4ing then it will perform & do all you need off road.

But I know how you feel I had a fully bombed 308 V8 and traded it for a Suzuki LJ50 550cc two stroke - Now that is a serious power drop. I had more fun in that Suzuki than any V8 could ever give.

So drive & enjoy what you have and do not worry about dragging everyone off at the lights. Cheers Tony
AnswerID: 367425

Follow Up By: Member - Porl - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:49

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 16:49
Too true, I went from a 120Kw 3.4L v6 petrol prado to a 70Kw 3.0 diesel and you know, bit of change of attitude and i don't notice the difference on the road (except maybe all the black smoke in the rear view mirror going up exceptionally steep hills).
FollowupID: 635092

Reply By: wkendwar - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:00

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:00
I understand what you are all saying anf thankyou for the comments. I got the diesel for the better fuel consumption and it is very good. I am fair please with the power it has, its more the turbo lag that is annoying. Will a after market dump pipe help this?
AnswerID: 367427

Follow Up By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:12

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 17:12
There has been some posts in the past where people who have done this post some better results. I am sure you will get a reply from one in the know.

Not sure the $ spent will be a benefit though. I am lucky I did not get that turbo lag with my car. Best of Luck.
FollowupID: 635097

Reply By: Trevor R (QLD) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:41

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:41
I would talk to a turbo "expert" and ask thier opinion. I know someone who chipped and done the exhaust on a different motor, still wanted more and so talked to a so called "turbo expert" who advised changing the turbo. My mate followed the experts advise and wish he had of talked to the expert first, it was soooooo much better all the way through the rev range you would think it was a different motor......MASSIVE difference for the better. Had he changed the turbo first up he probably would of saved the money on his chip as it would not have been necessary considering the huge difference the turbo made.

Will still never be your old 6lt V8 though and sadly a 6lt will not fit in your Nav so stop dreaming about it LOL!!!

Have fun with your new toy and I hope you get a good run out of it.
Regards, Trevor.
AnswerID: 367463

Reply By: Patrol22 - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:04

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:04
If it is a manual you can change the exhaust without too much difficulty. However, and auto 2007 and newer is another thing - these are fitted with a diesel particulate filter which come with a host of sensors that cannot be easily shortcuited (if at all!). I believe that a numbe of exhaust places are working on a solution in an endeavour to improve the fuel consumption of the auto model.
There are a number of chips available and I wouldn't be too worried about fitting something like Dtronic or Steinbauer - these are high quality items and remember that the 2.5 is NOT a tweaked non turbo engine but has been specifically designed to take the stresses of high boost delivered by the variable geometry turbo. The chip will improve the turbo lag problem and I intend fitting one to mine some time....still have to recover from the big spend I've done in fitting her out for the big trip.
The turbo lag issue is not a real problem for my auto but I have noticed it can be a bit of a pain with the manual....especially if you have a camper hooked up.
AnswerID: 367753

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:52

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:52
Would suggest that you dont do anything until it is out of warranty as you may find you have voided it. Unless of course you buy 'genuine Nissan' products and have them fitted by Nissan.

Our D40 STX auto diesel is currently off the road waiting for a part to be delivered from Spain - could take anything from 3 to 7 weeks. Has done 60,000 kms and is just over two years old. Glad we have a full service history - every 5000 kms since we bought it and are tow a van.

Currently sitting in van park about as far from home as we can be, driving Camry hire car provided by Nissan Aust. All travel plans from here have been put on hold for the present.

Cheers Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367792

Sponsored Links