The different attitudes with tyre dealers..lol.

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:06
ThreadID: 69305 Views:2910 Replies:5 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Have been on the phone half the day chasing tyres for the defender. The reaction from the dudes that answer the phone is nothing short of unbelievable!! , If their boss really new how some of their employees addressed, potenional customers i think the unemployment list would be a bit longer.lol.

I ( eg).... Me.".Just enquiring the availability of 7.50x16 tyres to suit defender and price"?

( Other end) ....". Nah You.won't buy em " haven't got anything, Change rims and we have this!. (This was a reptuable dealer)

Next!!...Are they split rims?...Me No!

Other end.. so its a discoveryDefender?

Me," No its a Defender" Standard steel defender rims!, 7.50 x16 dunlops on at the moment.

Other end!,, So has it split rims? "makes a difference you know"

Me ..Slam phone down!.

Next dealer!, Not a popular size around here! But definitley will get what you wan't, and also recommended another size that will suit and come in have a coffee, and we will go thru it all!.

Off in the morning to have a squiz, A little PR is all it takes.

Cheers Axle.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outbackswine - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:15

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:15
You should live out here in the Isa, basically, you call them, ask for what you want and if they have it in stock, you get it at their inflated price that includes mining town tariff.

If what you want isn't something they have in stock, you get told "nah, don't do 'em, you'll have ta get XXXX which we got for $mining town tariff price"

The same goes for anything here, not just tyres, if you aren't interested in what they want to sell you and at the mining town tariff price, they have very little interest in talking to you any further.

I went to the ARB and TJM stores in town yesterday for price on supply and fit bullbar, neither was interested in answering my questions about whether their bar will fit 240mm lights and factory fog lights.

I called the ARB dealer 900km away in Townsville who was most helpful over the phone, and beat the inflated price by $200 without any haggling, so guess who just made the sale of bullbar and 3 Lightforce XGT's............
AnswerID: 367443

Follow Up By: Rockape - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:29

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:29
Ring Roger Vickery ARB Qld manager in Brisbane and tell him your problem.

I know he will put a rocket up their arse ends.
FollowupID: 635108

Follow Up By: Outbackswine - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:19

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:19
If it was a corporate store I would, but it is an independant ARB stockist. It is owned by the same company that owns Bell Moir Toyota in town, and it is also the Goodyear dealer and Avis agent.

So many people buy their new Toyota's from other places because the attitude is similar throughout their various business units. everything at sky high prices, and a disinterested attitude for anyone not prepared to drop thousands without question. The Townsville dealers all know it, and they love selling new cars to Mount Isa residents.
FollowupID: 635122

Reply By: Trekkie (Member - WA) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:45

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:45
Axle - I agree - I hate tyre dealers - I had a disagreement once with the lady partner of a franchise - she was so rude and I have never been back - I found out later that she actually assaulted a customer who had charges laid against her - If you find a good dealer stay with them - but its hard to find one
AnswerID: 367453

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:59

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 18:59
Lol Trekkie!... It's a hard business. small margins i think, but its hard times all round, no need for abuse.

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 635110

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:55

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 19:55
Yep Tyre dealers are one of the worst, i was lucky i had a mate that had a tyrepower franchise and always looked after me until he passed away. now i have to contend with these other twits.
AnswerID: 367468

Follow Up By: Ozboc - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:26

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:26
I recently changed tires on my car -- gave Tyrepower a call -- there tires were $50 + more for each tire than anyone else ( selling same brand ) and the guy only seamed interested in selling me the most expensive tire he could find even after i told him what i wanted

Said he would ring me back --- never did

will not use this company now nor recommend them

Boc
FollowupID: 635127

Reply By: Ozboc - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:22

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:22
These people are Tire fitters and not engineers, brain surgeons , and so forth for a reason..

best bet it to know exactly what you want -- ie you say

I want 265/75 on r16 rims - Brand and type ( A/T - MTR and so forth )

you take the brain work out for them - they can just regurgitate info from a piece of paper in front of them

everyone is happy

Boc
AnswerID: 367476

Follow Up By: Crackles - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:10

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:10
"best bet it to know exactly what you want"
Somewhat agree. Do your homework & tell them what brand & size tyre you want, or ask for price difference between a couple of options. This shows you are a serious buyer.
Dealers would waste hours on the phone to "tyre kickers" that don't know what they want then move onto the next dealer who undercuts the price quite often with an inferior product. With minimal margins many simply can't be bothered with customers fixated on the price not the product.
Cheers Craig.........
FollowupID: 635139

Follow Up By: Member - Ernest R (VIC) - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:11

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 21:11
Yeah, fraid I did that with 2 retailers here in Melb. Told them the two or three types I was interested in and wanted price and availability. They said they'd ring back but never did. A grand's worth of sales lost. I get better service from a number of woodwork shops when asking eg. about a fifty buck chisel.
FollowupID: 635142

Reply By: blueriderwa - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 22:47

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 22:47
Cmon guys lets get real, i agree there is no excuse for poor customer service but if you own a tire shop that was continually bombarded with city pricing from customers who saw the ad on tv and demanded you do the same tyre at the same price and have them in stock just in case you walk in the door and ask for 4 of them at the cheapest possible price you can give even though you have paid freight to your town, the brand is one you dont stock because the rep is an a hole and you are well supported in your business buy a competitor company who understands where you are and what you are up against in a small business wouldnt you jet a little jack of it. Like i said i dont condone poor customer service but it is unrealistic to expect that every tyre shop in every town is gonna stock every tyre of every brand in every size.

AnswerID: 367514

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:26

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 11:26
But I think the whole gist of the post was.....bad service !!!! I think nobody expects a shop to have a huge range sitting on the shelf !!

Sad fact of life...most of your phone calls are gonna be a waste of your time, but.....some are gonna be a future customer.....so if you think you have plenty of business and don't need any more, then be rude and arrogant.......but if you want people to spend money at your place......learn to be nice.....
FollowupID: 635206

Follow Up By: Member - Axle - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 14:08

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 14:08
Spot on Gronk!!

Cheers Axle.
FollowupID: 635232

Sponsored Links