Advice from prado owners which one to buy?

Submitted: Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:00
ThreadID: 69308 Views:2516 Replies:7 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all looking to buy a prado around 05 model but dont know which to get it has to be a auto, gxl at least but i dont know weather to get a petrol or diesel it will be the missus daily driver but i will use it to tow an enclosed bike trailer every couple of weekends plus it dosent need to go in the bush as i have a 105 series for that just after some ideas from prado owners from both sides that use them for towing to get an idea on what would suit me best.Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Robin Miller - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:08

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:08
My mates wife doesn't like to go in there new Prado anymore , since they traded there petrol Prado for the diesel, cause its to noiser and rough she says.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367473

Reply By: toyocrusa - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:21

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:21
Hi. I have a late 04 5speed auto gxl. 4.0ltr petrol. A bit thirsty around town (16 L /100K) but very quiet, comfortable and an easy car to drive in traffic.Like your 105,I find it easier to reverse into carpark spots but you need a bit of clearence for the rear door. My wife drives it normally and finds it all to her liking. A grande would be the go if you could afford it. I have also been down to 11L/100K on a trip.Hope that helps. Bob.
AnswerID: 367475

Reply By: Best Off Road - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:24

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 20:24
Silky smooth 200 kw V6 or a noisy 130 kw oiler?

The V6 uses a liitle more juice, but you do pay for performance/driveability.

The V6 will be cheaper to buy and will tow better. No substitute for grunt.

Jim.

AnswerID: 367477

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Friday, May 29, 2009 at 22:32

Friday, May 29, 2009 at 22:32
Goodday Jim,
Agree about the v6, except silky smooth. They are very smooth at low rpm, but above 3500 they get very agitated. Use to use bosses 4lt lux to bring up horse floats from Sydney. Now the 4.7 quad cam is siky smooth.
But for the average driver they will not notice this as I think they do aqbout 2000rpm at 100. Once you get to 4l sixes you have got big pistons and long strokes usually.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 635158

Reply By: Member - Kroozer (WA) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 01:52

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 01:52
Not sure, but cant fault the turbo Diesel, good for more k's then the petrol, and better fuel economy, better resale price too. Compared to my 1HZ its way faster so its not really a slug like people say. Rather a diesel anyday then a petrol. Like to see a petrol cross a typical Kimberley wetcreek crossing or floodway. Every 4wd should be a Diesel in my books, or its just a Toorak Tractor. Use it for what its made for.
AnswerID: 367522

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 07:54

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 07:54
I drive a 2005 GX petrol auto and it drives great. Had it converted to gas a couple of years back and apart from some early teething issues (engine light was coming on) it is now sorted and brilliant. No noticeable drop in power and only a slightly higher consumption rate (KM/L) than petrol. At less that half the price of petrol, gas is a great alternative and a money saver. More than paid for itself with just town driving in the first year alone.
AnswerID: 367532

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 08:11

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 08:11
Hi Rick
It all comes down for what and where you are going to use your vehicle. All people that knock diesels are the ones that have either driven one from years ago, or have never driven a modern diesel at all. Out in the bush and the rough stuff, a diesel will win hands down every time, no questions or debate - end of story.
Fuel economy, engine braking, availability of fuel in remote locations are the questions you should be asking.

After owning a number of four wheel drives over a reasonable number of years,we have owned both petrol and diesel, and for over the last 13 years have only every purchased diesel vehicles and we would never look at a petrol vehicle again for my driving situations.

Our vehicle is used for what it was made for and not a Toorak Tractor. Any very serious outback traveller will always buy diesel.

The ball is in your court.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367537

Reply By: Rick james - Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:41

Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 10:41
Thanks for the advice from all. Originally i was going to get a diesel but as it is going to be the missus car i thought petrol/gas would be better for her and as i said in the original post i have a turbo deisel standard model 105 series for the bush trips anyway so the prado would never see the bush anyway plus i only have a bit over thirty grand to spend.
AnswerID: 367563

Sponsored Links