Quick trip to the Gulf

Submitted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 21:37
ThreadID: 69347 Views:2548 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all,
I am planning our first trip to the Gulf area in June /July Will be travelling with my wife from Tamworth and have between 10 to18 days to do a quick recce for later trips.
I was wondering if any of the experienced trippers could give us some advice on the not to miss places to visit as well as the not really worth it this time places.
Being retired cattle graziers interesting cattle stations are an obvious interest along with relaxing water side stops. We are adapted to roughing it and bush camping away from the more populated places is an attraction as would be the opportunity to do some casual fishing and hunting.
Thank you
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - lyndon K (SA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:18

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:18
Hi
Lawn Hill is a must. You may have to book and it will be packed, everywhere will be at that time.
We went to Gregory Downs and hired a canoe and went to the Gregory river with it, cristal clear and no tourists if you go to the right parts.
Burke town is "interesting". Don't over dress for the bar, underpants will do!
How far up the eastern side of the gulf do you intend to travel ?
Cheers Lyndon
Now is the only time you own
Decide now what you will,
Place faith not in tomorrow
For the clock may then be still

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367728

Reply By: Member - Jon W (Toowoomba QLD) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:22

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:22
Hi Folks,
Although not all in "the gulf" so to speak, I would suggest:
Dinosaur displays at Richmond and Hughenden,
Porcupine Gorge north of Hughenden,
Undara Lava Tubes near Mt Surprise,
Einasleigh, Forsayth and Cobbold Gorge,
Croydon and Normanton (Railmotor experience),
Karumba (fishing),
Burketown (fishing), and
Lawn Hill Gorge.
You could then head home via Mt Isa, Winton, Longreach, Charleville etc.
Each of the places listed would be worth 3 or 4 nights each to do them justice.
For what its worth. I am not suggesting that 10 to 18 days is enough time to fully appreciate each of the above.
Jon W
AnswerID: 367729

Reply By: Member - John and Val W (ACT) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:57

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:57
Hi,

With the amount of time that you have available a quick recce is all that you will be able to do. Some interesting places include Chillagoe with its mining history, limestone landscape, fossils and caves. The road west from Herberton good gravel but takes you through some rugged country full of old mining areas - very interesting. Innot Hot Springs is a great place to soak out the dust in the pools, each at a different temperature. As others have said Gregory Downs is a great place to camp. There is good riverside camping north of Burketown, and the remains of the old abbatoir there would be of interest. Be aware that accommodation in Karuma including van park places are booked out months in advance, and there is nowhere much where you can bush camp close to there.
The Atherton Tableland is a must see place with many things to see.

HTH
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367762

Reply By: Member - Heather G (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:41

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:41
Hi D22 navara,

There is a camping ground about 20 kms east of Normanton on the main highway across from Undara - named Leichhardt Lagoon. It isn't far off the road, was around $14 p night last year when we were there. Has flushing toilets and showers, a twin tub washing machine which was installed while we were staying, also water - not too sure whether this is drinkable though.

Caretakers live on site in their van and collect fees, clean the amenities and keep the fire stoked for hot showers.

We found it to be a very friendly place - there's a big area to camp near the lagoon which is full of birdlife, and there were many fishermen staying there. We met some real characters. Access to the Norman River and weir is a few kms away where barramundi can be caught if you dont mind sharing the water with many crocs - salties and freshies.

The station owners provided 3 course dinner on Sat nights outside in their garden for a few dollars each and raised money for the RFDS too.

We loved it, planned to 'overnight' there and stayed around 10 days. Didn't have to book, just called in.

Hopefully it didnt all wash away in the huge 'wet' they had around that area earlier this year.
We hope to get back there next year.

Cheers Heather

Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367789

Sponsored Links