Bonnet glare 70 series V8 Landcruiser

Submitted: Saturday, May 30, 2009 at 23:28
ThreadID: 69349 Views:8267 Replies:11 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Looking for suggestions on solving a glare problem I am having on my trayback.

Something to do with angles of the sun, bonnet and my height, in the afternoon I sometimes get really bad glare from the bulged part of the bonnet for the intercooler. Never had anything like it on any other vehicle.

Thinking of two possibilities 1 to have the bulge painted matt black or 2 a stick on sign type of material that could be removed. Maybe even a big flexible magnet sign in black.

Funny that in all the published reviews of the vehicle I cannot recall this problem being mentioned.

Anyone got a solution based on actual experience of this problem in a landcruiser or other vehicle?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 00:30

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 00:30
Flynnie, I experience the same thing with mine. Very annoying. I'm constantly moving my cap along the top of the dash to hide the glare.

I have been to my local signs and stripes man and he will put a piece of matt black stick-on material onto the rear sloping edge of the intake scoop.

He will use the same matt black material used to put wide "go faster" stripes on vehicles. He says it will last in the sun.

We tried a piece in place and it certainly cuts that blinding glare down.

I may even cover the entire scoop with the material.

cheers

I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367696

Reply By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 04:11

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 04:11
Flynnie
You got 1 choice Mate !
Matt Black it, what you use will be a matter of choice.

You may be able to get a signwrighter, and get them to cut out some vynal to the shape you want, and the problem is solved. ....
When and if you sell, just peal it off. No damage !

or

If mat black paint is all you got, then paint it.
Cheers
Bucky
AnswerID: 367702

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 08:04

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 08:04
Flynnie
When I was working the Troopy out of Mt Isa I went to a paint and Panel shop and was quoted $340 to have the Bonnet Matte Blacked....it didn't get done, 2 years later when in Molong NSW for 5 weeks I decided to do it myself so off to Supercheap in Orange and bought a sander, some abrasive discs, and 3 spray cans of Matte Black, took the bonnet off and done it, all up cost was about $85,

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367708

Reply By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 08:59

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 08:59
YOU DON"T HAVE TO PAINT ANYTHING.....I made a utility shelf that fits neatly across the the top of the dash....the back is at the same angle as the windscreen and about a 40- 50 mm gap to allow the demister air to pass up the glass.

the left 2/3 consists of two long tray sections to hold various items, ie sunglasses etc, the middle tray is big enough to hold a box of nice "roadhouse hot chips" mmmmmm delicious.....and the section over the instrument cluster is the backing only as that is where the gps's and the thermoguard sits.

It is designed so that just the bonnet is blocked out and all you see is the roo bar only.

It is made out of very light wood ( tassie oak etc) and imported ply and covered in black felt.

I even have wiring up there to feed a 3x12v outlet plus the mobile phone antenna cable goes to that point.

It does not interfere with the airconditioning or the demister and the is also designed to pull away to replace stickers...but held securely by two self tappers.Image Could Not Be Found
Image Could Not Be Found

It did not take us long to get used to it and the rest of the vehicle stays the same.....no painting and plus you have shelves for other stuff.

I also built the roof console as well, false floor and drawer, fridge holders, etc,etc,
AnswerID: 367712

Follow Up By: Rockape - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:02

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:02
Good idea mate, you have turned the dash area into a very usable storage space.

I like it
FollowupID: 635343

Follow Up By: Ino - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:49

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 10:49
That's a really neat idea!

Thought I can't help but wonder how road-legal is that. I mean, the coppers will slap you a fine for having a GPS mounted on the driver's side about the same height that shelf comes to.

Ino!~
FollowupID: 635356

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:48

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 12:48
Cast your mind back and try to remember all the trucks and road trains that you have seen....that's where I got the idea....some of them use the above idea and remember you can still see the roo bar, it just takes out the bonnet and nothing else.....

And as for legalities when you have had something in place for quite a number of years AND have been stopped for lic checks and breath tests etc....nothing has been said and they check your vehicle as well....

I know whenever you post a suggestion or idea you always have your critics etc....but I am enjoying so much more comfort when driving, as light glare often brings on severe headaches for me especially on overcast days.
FollowupID: 635375

Follow Up By: Ino - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:21

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:21
Redbakk - please don't take me the wrong way - I'm not here to antagonize you, or for that matter poo-poo your ideas. I actually like it very much and I think it's really nicely done. Kudos on the finish too - looks very schmick!

I just wondered what the legalities might me. I guess - one won't know until that happens - but still.

Cheers and all the best,

Ino!~
FollowupID: 635400

Follow Up By: Member - Redbakk (WA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:48

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 19:48
It's all good mate....and no offence taken.....It was for the Flynnie NSW's benefit....I did not want him put off by what others have said.

I wanted him to know that I am not the only one...there are others in the transport industry who use it and that is where I got the idea from.
Saw a bus today with an upside down sun visor on the bottom of their windscreen ( outside) and the lady driver could just see over the top...but it would have blocked out the bottom quarter of the windscreen.

Also the gps etc actually sit on the instrument cluster down lower.

Cheers.
FollowupID: 635420

Follow Up By: Member - Bucky, the "Mexican"- Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 04:42

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 04:42
Redbackk

Congratulations
What a brilliant idea. !

Wonder If I can do something like that for the Patrol, and if I do will SWMBO be able to see over the dash.

Gee, if only I wasn't married. (hehe)

I should be nice, just clocked over 36 years .....(15 for murder you know)

Cheers, and congrats again
Bucky

FollowupID: 635444

Reply By: Member - Ian H (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 09:00

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 09:00
I have thought about putting a strip of black self adhesive plastic sheeting about 150 mm wide across the bottom of the windscreen so that the top of it is in visual line from my eye to the leading edge of the bonnet. it wouldn't interfere with my driving vision at all but would block out all the bonnet glare. maybe a little illegal but better than trying to drive with heaps of flicking glare in your eyes.
AnswerID: 367713

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 09:45

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 09:45
Have you tried a pair of glare proof (polarised) sunglasses.

May be the most practical option.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367721

Follow Up By: Ino - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:24

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:24
Damn - and I was going to suggest closing his eyes! :)

Ino!~
FollowupID: 635401

Reply By: Member - Flynnie (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:25

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:25
Thank you all for your suggestions.

It looks like a lot of people have encountered this and I thought I was the only one having the problem. So bad once I had to stop driving for a while until the sun changed angle enough.

Looking for a long term fix so will try the black vinyl all over the bonnet scoop or to have a vehicle painter paint it matt black. I know someone who does car signs so will approach him first. May even get a graphic put on the top of bonnet scoop.

The tray in the dash looks a good idea too but in my case I would still get glare coming over the top from the front part of the bonnet scoop. Maybe I am a bit taller or the seat is a different height or something.

Will do a follow up on how I get on.

Flynnie
AnswerID: 367756

Reply By: Member -Pinko (NSW) - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:53

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 13:53
As you may recall F-100 ambulances had blacked out bonnets and I was in that era.
Not entirely successful because after a few washes it developed a sheen and became glossy with the glare returning.
I think light window tint film at an appropriate height on the inside would be a fix. Similar to the graded tint on the top edge of some screens.
Living is a journey,it depends on where you go !
VKS 737 mobile 0049 selcall 0049

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 367760

Reply By: StormyKnight - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:06

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:06

Image showing the raised section of the intercooler scoop...Its quite pronounced. Also because its curved, the reflection from the sun will be evident over a larger range of sun angles....
AnswerID: 367836

Reply By: Member - Oldplodder (QLD) - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:11

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:11
Friend had a similar problem with bonnet glare, off a white bonnet.

He put a piece of window tint on the inside of the windscreen for about the first 100 to 150mm up from the dash, then trimmed it off to line up with the front edge of the bonnet for his sight line.

Sort of like the tint you get at the top of the of the windscreen, but at the bottom. You can still see through it, but cuts out the glare.
AnswerID: 367866

Reply By: gottabjoaken - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 13:46

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 13:46
Been enough good ideas now, so for the real solution....

Throw some mud over it !!

Ken
AnswerID: 367922

Sponsored Links