Aircon to Fridge??

Submitted: Saturday, Aug 30, 2003 at 20:57
ThreadID: 6935 Views:1973 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Anyone know if it's possible to hook up the aircon cicuit to a Fridge box? I was wondering if it can/has been done? (I know some cars have some sort of cooler in them) I envisage some sort of quick release fittings for the gas line and a custom made fridge box. My reasoning is that the aircon compressor unit on the 4x4 is much bigger than the one in a portable fridge, so it should chill the box down fairly quickly. Thats if it would pull down far enough. Also by building the box you could go heavy on the insulation. I don't know anything about aircons or fridges so I'm prepared to be shotdown on the realities of this train of thought. :-))
Fire away guys.
Ciao,
Wayne.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Toonfish - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 00:13

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 00:13
there was one in the new barina to keep your lipstick cool and i think the one in the nissan x-trail is 12 volt not air -con (could be wrong).
Have been wanting one for years.1999 NISSAN NAVARA DUALCAB
DIESEL 3.2 & SPRINGY CARLTON TOY
AnswerID: 29682

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:55

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:55
...the Barina or the lipstick cooler...??? lmao....
FollowupID: 20792

Reply By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 03:26

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 03:26
Hi Wayne
Sounds like a good idea, but I think with the quick release fitting theory, when you unplug your fridge from the gas line the gas in the lines to the fridge would escape and you would be left with less gas for the Air con. which would make it less if not totally ineffective. I guess if there was a fitting with some sort of valving to prevent this then in theory it could work. Perhaps a valve like a compressed air snap fitting on the supply side, and a shutoff valve on the fridge side would work. Will watch this thread with interest....
Cheers
AnswerID: 29688

Follow Up By: Wayne - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 09:27

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 09:27
Hi Mrdesmo, Do I detect an old Ducati fan? I found this while surfing around after I'd posted my query.

http://www.portable-engel-chescold-more.com.au/kwik-connect/quick_connect.htm

These couplings might be the go?

The site seems to have a fair bit of info on it re DIY fridges etc. Hmmm.....more research.
Ciao,
Wayne.
FollowupID: 20794

Follow Up By: Member - Wherethehellawi - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:10

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:10
Wayne,
as mrdesmo you will evenyually lose enough gas whish will have the efect of reducing the refrigeration effect. Not withsatnding that moisture, air (a non condensible gas), and dirt can enetr the system and stop it from working all together.

The aeroquip quick release couplings will also leak.

And eventually the refrigerant used will not be allowed to vented to atmosphere under any circumstances.

Good thought but it wont work....sorry....Unless it was permanently fixed to car where it would be ok!Wow! am I cute
If yer ain't fishing, Yer ain't livin
Richard
FollowupID: 20801

Follow Up By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 15:11

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 15:11
Wayne,
You guessed it, absolute Ducati nut, although I'm in between bikes at the mo, waiting to recharge my licence (1 1/2 years to go till full 12 points again). I'm in self exile, as I need whats left of my licence for work!

Those couplings, provided they sealed both sides may do the trick, however, it didn't say wether or not the gas needed to be evacuated before disconnection, and like the comment above, I do belive it is illegal to release this gas into atmosphere...

However if you wanted to permanently mount a fridge, now we're talking...!!

Back to the drawing board
FollowupID: 20803

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:51

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 12:51
Sahara Cruisers us e the air cond for the icebox. Wouldnt be able to make it quick disconnect though!
Andrewwheredayathinkwer mike?
AnswerID: 29699

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:41

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:41
A friend of mine , made a fridge that was connected to the compresor in his car, worked great when the vehicle was running , but you couldnt remove it from the vehicle . In his case the van ran most of the day , so it suited his application. He since has sold that Van , with the new van he walked into ARB lol
AnswerID: 29730

Sponsored Links