Gas consumption

Submitted: Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 14:17
ThreadID: 69369 Views:2319 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, we are about to upgrade from our pop top to a new Jayco 20 footer with a hot water system. The hot water unit is around 21 liters capacity. I was wondering how long one 9 kg gas bottle lasts when using the shower daily. We do most of the cooking on the camp fire or the Cobb. The van has the 150 ltr gas fridge. About the only time we use the stove is to heat the kettle for a cuppa while on the road.

Dave & Di
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 15:13

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 15:13
It's bit like how long is a piece of string.
Gas usage is subject to, how long in shower and other usage of the HWS. plus how many times the fridge is opened when running on gas and the ambient temp it is working in.
Your best bet is to have an auxiliary gas bottle then run the system on gas for a trial trip and see how long i really lasts.

We have twin 4.5 bottles on our rig an with showering every 2nd day (to conserve water) plus the hot water service turned off during the night plus the fridge is left running on gas we can get 10days out of each bottle. (fridge 90ltr) when the ambient temp is around 25+% cels. This for 2 people only and 3 minute showers.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 367769

Follow Up By: Dave&Di - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 16:26

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 16:26
Hi Dodg, you are right about the usage rate, what setting the fridge is on, etc but what you have said gives me an idea of what to expect.
The van comes with two bottles anyway. It was just a feeler to see what the gas hot water uses as this is our first van with one. As you say try it and see. I guess with 3 minute showers every second day and the 150 ltr fridge might get 16 to 20 days out of one bottle in weather that is not to hot.
Thanks for the reply.

Dave
FollowupID: 635394

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:45

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 17:45
we have 2 x 9kg bottles on our van. If I know it's pretty full I just take the one bottle. (we don't do big trips beyond 3 wks with school age kids) If you think there's any danger of running out of gas, just take a spare with some in to give you time to refill the other. We don't time our showers now, but heat the water up, wet yourself turn it off and scrub. Then turn on again and rinse. Usually takes about 8L of water without getting fanatical about it. We only heat the water up once and all 4 of us shower and then turn off. Usually have a bit of hot left for washing up but also use the campfire and the billy's always on for brews and washing. Never checked tbh but ia bottle lasts ok. Like the previous post said, always have a spare handy, even if it's not full. 3 min showers are pretty good going. I reckon you get a decent wash but you've gotta get a move on. If you do a search on here you'll find some manage with a teaspoonful but you've gotta be quick

;)))
AnswerID: 367790

Reply By: rags - Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:54

Sunday, May 31, 2009 at 21:54
Do you know what the megajoule per hour rate [mj/hr] is for the appliance found on the AGA appliance approval plate ,AS thiS will assist in the equation/answer to the question
Russ
AnswerID: 367845

Sponsored Links