SWB MQ Patrol

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 02:00
ThreadID: 6937 Views:1721 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
G'day All,

Well after drowning my Challenger(inside & out), and it's still off the road 4 weeks later waiting for part from Japan(should be here monday)I decided I need a cheep 4bie to hoon around in so the wife can keep the family car respectable.I went out and bought a MQ Patrol SWB 4 speed 3.3 deisel.

Havn't been 4wdriving yet but won't be long.Does anyone have experience with one of these as far as capabilities and any info on mods to improve would be appreciated.

Thanks Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve from Drive Systems Victoria - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 14:14

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 14:14
Must be pre-1984, I'd guess and means the weak link is the suspension, unless it has already been dumped in favour of an after-market set up. Shockers are short from the factory, change them. They really do need a rear locker to be able to go into any mountainous terrain, as they like to lift front wheels while climbing, but I doubt you'de want to spend that sort of money on a "spare" truck.
AnswerID: 29705

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 23:21

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 23:21
As Steve says its an old truck, and depends how much you wanna spend, and what you wanna do with it.

Id go new suspension and a set of Swampers or Extreme Trekkkers for starters.

How many klms? What condition? Does it need anything? etc..
AnswerID: 29755

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:16

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:16
Steve,

Car has done 295,000 km's.Starts well and runs smooth without smoke apart from the usuall puff that I believe is normal for deisel.I am new to deisel and after taking it out sunday realised how different it is to drive than petrol.The front suspension sits nice and high but the rear looks like the springs have levelled a little over time.Thinking getting them retensioned should do the trick?Main prob so far is slight fumes in cab.
Main use is for 4being around without the worry of scratching,or getting mud/water inside as well tow my trailer for work and pull my mini excavator when req.I'm not a full bottle on deisel engines so any tips for long engine life appreciated.
I'm thinking in order...some rust repairs first, 5 speed box, turbo and then maybe look at arb air locker for rear(or at least a lsd diff,depends on budget).

ScottiGregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
FollowupID: 20892

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:18

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 22:18
OOPS SORRY!!
HEADING SHOULD READ TRUCKSTER NOT STEVE...BEEN A LONG DAY.Gregory Rock on the _Kalbarri.aspx.
FollowupID: 20893

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 00:01

Tuesday, Sep 02, 2003 at 00:01
Yea they are a solid old gigger, as are most older 4wds not the plastic crap they make now.

In order, Go with the rust, suspension then go a turbo then see if you need the 5 speed, may not be as cheap to convert as you think!

Lockers make a world of difference.

Than again with the turbo, thats gonna be around $3000 you could go a 350 chev for that $!
FollowupID: 20902

Reply By: Murfa - Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:40

Tuesday, Sep 16, 2003 at 21:40
Just a quick question, how the hell did you manage to drown your challenger inside and out. I am going to get a custom snorkel fitted, but I have driven through a few water crossing, about 3/4 of the way up the front panel, and never had a problem so far. Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with yours....
AnswerID: 31272

Follow Up By: Member - Scotti - Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 21:47

Thursday, Sep 18, 2003 at 21:47
Murfa,

To cut a long story short was going through a long puddle at wheel height then in the middle it dipped rapidly and the whole bonnet went under then stalled.And then the water started to seep in.A tarp probably would've prevented this but was unaware of the dip..
I also have been looking at getting a snorkel custom made.We have been through river crossings at halfway over headlight height with no probs.Despite all this I'm still happy with the porformance of the vehicle off road.
FollowupID: 22393

Sponsored Links