Leaning hilux

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 10:50
ThreadID: 6939 Views:2306 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
My 99 D/C hilux has a definite lean to the passenger side @ 15mm - doesn't sound like much but it is very noticeable when the vehicle is on level ground. Tried cranking the torsion bar on that side to even it out but that hasnt made any difference. I cant see any damaged/worn bushes. Checked tyre pressures. Anyone got any ideas?

Shaun
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: mrdesmo - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 15:22

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 15:22
Hi Shaun,
My old Hilux (leaf sprung) did that not long after I installed a 2" lift, on the drivers side, I took the spring on that side back under warranty which fixed the problem. What I didn't tell the spring mob was I had just put in a second battery on that side as well. Have you recently put any more weight on that side ie a 2nd battery? If its still under warranty, get them to have a look. If not, now's a good time to tell the missus of your predicament and get new suspension!!
Cheers
AnswerID: 29711

Follow Up By: Shaun - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 20:31

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 20:31
I haven't added anything new but the suspension is original and done 97,000kms (new shockies @2,000kms ago). I might start the negotiations with the Dept. of Finance......

Thanks
FollowupID: 20820

Reply By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:38

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 16:38
Most of the time a rear sag shows up in the front end . Put a jack on the rear body of your can on which the lean is on , and have a look to see if its gone away from the front
AnswerID: 29715

Follow Up By: Eric - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 21:11

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 21:11
Eric.
Another Eric, Just to clarify your sugestion, the jack must be placed in the exact centre of the body at the rear. Eric.
FollowupID: 20822

Follow Up By: Member - Eric- Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:07

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 22:07
if you do that , then you wont even up the rear , take a messurment fron the RIM lowest point , to the lip of the guard either side , equalise the distance with the jack , then check the front .

FollowupID: 20829

Reply By: yarda - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:36

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:36
Shaun, the earlier hiluxes were notorious for torsion bar sag I had a 2wd lux as a farm ute 96 model and both front torsion bars sagged down to the bump stops. You see a lot of these utes looking like hot rods getting around with their front bumpers on the ground. I Got the ute up on a hoist and found that both bars were already at full adjustment from the factory. so i removed both bars and found that i could cut a new master spline without sacrificing too much shear strength in the bar( 2nd spline around from original master i think - memory is not the greatest) Then re installed both bars and gave them the minimum initial adjustment, this was close and i ended up with about a 1/4 adjustment on each bar. The ute has been like this for about 4 years now and done a lot of heavy load carrying (1 tonne plus) since then, and the front end is still sitting up at the proper height. Maybee toyota are still getting off-spec torsion bars from their suppliers? Hope this helps. Brad.
AnswerID: 29767

Sponsored Links