Desert maps for Explorist 600

Submitted: Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 04:29
ThreadID: 69391 Views:1984 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all

I have recently purchased an Explorist 600 GPS (advertised here)
Nice unit, and very suitable suitable for my hunting, as it's waterproof, as well.

I has Aus Streets and topo, on SD, (Maps are real good there too)
I thought you beauty, great for the Canning and the Kimberley's..

WRONG.

It appears that the Desert Tracks have been taken out, and I have to purchase another SD card, to help navigate my way through.
Funny thing is that my little Etrek Legend, (which I now have to thump, to get going) has all the tracks on it.
Can anyone out there Help ?

Cheers
Bucky

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: obee1212 - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:48

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 09:48
sorry I bought my explorist. the previous 315 was better. Had issues with cable, toggle, moisture ingress, software going loopy (turn off and restart all the time) the price of software is bull. Having trouble now getting it to charge.

In future I will print the maps I need from natmap and use a simple gps. Maybe a gps mouse as well for the laptop but the laptop can be a bit heavy for the missus too. Good for a reference but when I am bushwhacked.

The street map type garmin I use to find the garage sales is very useful for all the onroad and gazetted tracks which covers most of my needs. I like to see what is in the vicinity though and the natmaps are good for that.

Owen
AnswerID: 367881

Reply By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:36

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:36
Hello - cant really help. I have the old version of Magellan DAST, and the Magellan version of Great Desert Tracks. DAST does show desert tracks (in fact more than the Great Desert Tracks version - go figure).

The only thing I can suggest is make sure the tracks are in fact not there. In the past people have had an issue with missing tracks only to find that they needed to zoom in past a certain level before secondary tracks appear on the screen i.e tracks are there but not visible until you zoom in

I dont know if this is your problem - just thought Id suggest it.

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 367883

Reply By: Inkbandit79 - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 20:16

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 20:16
Take it back you will have trouble running any other software apart from what magellan see's fit and there product support leaves you wanting!
AnswerID: 368014

Sponsored Links