Submitted: Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 08:53
ThreadID: 69396 Views:10677 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All
We have a 17'6" Roma Poptop which we registered in Victoria. We reside in the ACT. Recently in a caravan journal there was an article relating to the legality of registering caravans in a State other than the State of residency. According to VICROADS, provided you can provide evidence of residency, caravans can be registered in Victoria. Caravans in Victoria are classified as trailers and as such do not require a licence to drive them. As grey nomads we travel a great deal even though our place of residence is the ACT.

Has any Member uncovered any law in any State which states that a caravan/camper trailer or trailer cannot be registered in a State other than your State of residency?

The law is clear with motorhomes etc because a motor vehicle licence is required to operate that type of vehicle.

Doug and Jane Hinton
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:57

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 10:57
Hi there. SA law seems clear that, if you become a permanent resident of SA (some still do, you know!) you must register your vehicle in SA within 3 months. There is nothing in the stated rules that makes any difference between powered vehicles and trailers. There is a requirement in relation to roadworthiness checks that specifically applies to caravans in the SA case.
I suspect this is a fairly uniform situation in other states too.
Presumably a comparison of the SA rules with the ACT rules would be worth it.
Incidentally, there is no stamp duty payable if you can prove the vehicle was registered in your name in another State, before you apply to register it in SA.
Hope this helps.
Chris (SA)
AnswerID: 367886

Reply By: Kiwi100 - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:08

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 12:08
Our caravan is registered in Queensland and has a Queensland "storage address" in order to qualify. It has never been parked at the address, let alone stored. Registration papers and renewals are sent direct to our NSW address.

The main reason was to avoid hefty stamp duty on the first registration (from memory several thousand in NSW and only a couple of hundred in Queensland), but ongoing registration renewal is also less than NSW.

There are plenty of NSW-registered vehicles towing Qld-registered vans. May also explain why caravan manufacture seems to be based anywhere but NSW. Another reason why NSW is going broke?

AnswerID: 367902

Reply By: Kirk and Jeanette - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 17:10

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 17:10
The laws across various states is a pain. It should all be standardized to save people like us a lot of headaches. Recently purchased a new camper in melbourne but could not register there in my name without proof of residency there. I live in WA by the way and are travelling around the country. I could not register in Wa unless i drove all the way there and put the trailer over the pits for inspection. I finished up talking the camper trailer manufacturerr to register in their name but I am not sure what to do when it comes up for renewal after 12 months. I wrote to my local politition several times but could not even get an answer. Somehow we need to get our pollies to do something usefull and make the licensing rules standard across Australia.
AnswerID: 367967

Follow Up By: Tenpounder - Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 18:51

Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 18:51
You've got to be joking! That requires COOPERATION between the State Governments! Can you imagine your WA government agreeing with the Easterners? or vice versa? Problem is, making the rules common (the same for each State) isn't enough, unless the principle of Mutual Recognition is fully adopted.
And how then do our governments keep themselves pure?????????
Hope I am not being cynical!!
Chris (SA)
FollowupID: 635548

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (13)