Mobile phone external car antenna

Submitted: Monday, Jun 01, 2009 at 23:02
ThreadID: 69433 Views:16720 Replies:13 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I am looking at extending the range of my nextG mobile phone when in marginal areas. I have seen a choice of a 9db magnetic base antenna ($62) or a 9db glass mount antenna ($38). The glass one I would place on the rear window to my landcruiser ute. I don't want an entire car kit and would only like to have it as an occasional setup.

Has anyone used these type of external antennas?
How well do they work?
Which one is better?
Is there a better option?

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 07:33

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 07:33
An external antenna will give you much better performance than any glass mounted antenna.

You can buy a Z pattern stainless steel bracket than enables you to mount the antenna on the corner of the bonnet, close to the window.
Only requires an exit through a firewall rubber grommet.

For a little extra you can buy a mobile phone holder that provides connection for the antenna cable. I am not aware of any antenna cable that would enable direct connection to the phone, but they may be available.

Bill.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 368075

Reply By: Member - Mike DID - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:35

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:35
Avoid glass-mount antennas !!!!

Very easy to install, which is the only reason you used to see so man of them, but perfomance is bad.
AnswerID: 368078

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:52

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:52
http://store.comnet.com.au/cat/2000942.html
AnswerID: 368082

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:55

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:55
Before you waste your money make sure the phone allows the use of an ext aerial.

Lots dont and as you dont say what model it is very hard to give a correct answer.

More info = intelligent answers
AnswerID: 368085

Follow Up By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:58

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:58
Correct , check the above link .
FollowupID: 635647

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:24

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:24
Thanks for the answers. Looks like consensus is for an a magnetic base type that is hard wired than the glass mount one.

My mobile is just the LG TU550. I can buy a patch lead easy and the two antenna I have found where specified for my phone.

the Comnet Solutions site even has a stubby antenna at 3db for my phone but after my mate developed brain cancer just behind his mobile phone ear I would like to avoid extra power next to my head. His surgeon said it was very common cancer since mobile phones.

If I get the magnetic base type I can get it out and plonk it on the roof to make those phone calls when at places like Steep Point where phone reception is very intermittent. The other weekend I was at Dwellingup - Nanga Mill camp and just getting one bar on and off. Not enough to make a phone call and was compelled to drive almost back to town before getting enough reception to phone one of the cars coming in late.

Thanks guys for the help. Just what EO is all about.

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 368088

Reply By: friar - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:38

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:38
Serindipity if your phone will take a external aerial, I have a external black whip type aerial mounted on a z bracket between mudguard & bonnet ,with aerial going throug a gromet in to the glove box. A patch lead to suit your phone on the end of aerial lead just plugs directly in to the phone. we only plug it in when needed ,it does make a huge differance when looking for a signal in some places you would not expect to receive a signal. Friar.
AnswerID: 368090

Reply By: Gronk - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:40

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 09:40
I have a glass mount 9db and while I can't offer any scientific data, it has helped me get reception at times when the phone itself couldn't ( an LG550 )

So, in fringe areas, it seems to work but in areas where there is no reception, you still get no reception...

Some people have posted here that they have ditched the big external antennas for a on glass one and are happy with them ?? go figure ???
AnswerID: 368091

Reply By: TerraFirma - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 13:01

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 13:01
I can verify through my own general reception testing that glass mounts do not work as well. I my opinion glass mount is convenient for obvious reasons however I have been using a portable magnetic as I do not have a big need on a regular basis.
AnswerID: 368106

Reply By: greybeard - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 15:20

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 15:20
i've tried both the glass mount and a bullbar mounted antenna.

in my case the glass mount was a waste of time and money.
ymmv
AnswerID: 368114

Reply By: Goldfind (Dunsborough) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 16:30
David
I have just returned from Station country out of Meekatharra, I purchased a new antenna ($150.00) mounted on my Rhino Rack and connected to a cheap Telstra country phone and it worked a treat.
The antenna was from "Mobile one" 1140mm long High Performance NextG/3G Cellular antenna #SBS822
The phone was in full contact all the way up on the road and while camped out on the station.
I just poked the wire through the rear window and connected it to the phone my only problem was that when bush bashing I had to take it down as it kept getting swiped by branches. It was easy to just unscrew it and put it back up when required
Regards Wayne Huxley
AnswerID: 368123

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:04

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 19:04
Thanks for your replies.

I did look at the glass one for convenience but it seems lots of people agree the signal strength is down on this one. I will go for the 9db magnetic base one.

Thanks again

David

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 368146

Follow Up By: Inkbandit79 - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 17:51

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 17:51
Serendipity, next time your in perth talk to Terry at Outbacker Communications, he knows his stuff and will help you out thier located in canningvale, Sorry I dont have thier number but if you do a search on google you'll find them, Hope this Helps
FollowupID: 636141

Reply By: AGNI4x4 - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:42

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 21:42
Hi I live in a remote area near Fraser here and just went thru this saga as had three mobiles with no reception. Just fitted a 14 dbi aerial to roof (shed) and brought patch leads as needed to connect phones. Can say now that a patch lead as for a plug in type eg Samsung 411 excellent and took signal strength from nothing to three bars. The Nokia without external aerial connection uses a passive conductor to transfer signal ......... USELESS and waste of money. So as mentioned make sure phone has provision for external aerial. Can recommend samsung 411 there 99 dollars blue ticked for rural areas and out do phones 4 times their price. You can also get a 3dbi walk around aerial ($25) for it that gives great results. I know this is home not vehicle application but theory regards signal and leads to aerials stays the same.
Cheers
AnswerID: 368182

Reply By: Member - Ian F (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 22:24

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 22:24
G'Day David,
I have the Samsung 411 with a mobile mag base 9db antenna and when I am camping (fishing etc) I have made a detatchable disc (to fix the antenna) on a 3 metre aluminium pipe and attach it to the side of the tray back ute. This gives it an effective height of 4 metre's. Works well.
Ian
AnswerID: 368193

Sponsored Links