Winch Troubles

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 00:19
ThreadID: 69435 Views:2312 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Ok brainy ones, Mate has a 9500 Warn winch on his 100 series yota. He asked me to check it with him on the weekend, it is locked in the dis-engauge and will not re-engauge. Now for the odd bit, it doesn't free spool and will only spool out under power and winch back in with it in this position.

My dumb guess is its locked into engauged in the gearbox even though the lever is in the dis-engauged position, as it will winch full weight of vehicle in this position.

Any thoughts ??
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 00:41

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 00:41
This is déjà vu for me..If i was your mate i would be guessing your talking about me lol...

I bought my Warn under 12 months ago as you roughly know..It a 9.5XP,I have only used it once as you know for about 10 metres at most but i cannot remember whether i told you that its stuck on engage.It will only go halfway round from engage to freespool,i have never tried to use it while its in this position,thats why it took longer in the gully that day because i could only unwind using a the remote....

Now last week i went into ARB and they quickly looked at it..Its booked in on the 11th this month.Now i said surely its under warranty and he said mate i am pretty sure it will be and i think i know whats wrong but we have to wait till we pull it apart and if its not a warranty job it will cost you $85 an hour..I dont know what to do,cancel aRB and ring Warn first ????? What would you do it seems to me its a common fault..

Hopefully someone here can giv some advice..

Cheers Mate
AnswerID: 368069

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 00:57

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 00:57
Now Warfer that is awesome,

Not you mate, unless that roll - lux is now a 100 series LMAO. I didn't know you had suffered the same problem, my mate with the 100 had it happen up on Cape York, and its been the same ever since. Your right though a bit of a coincident 2 winches with exactly the same problem.

We will see what others say, maybe its a water thing, his had been underwater quiet a bit on the Cape and we know about yours, don't we LOL.

Maybe a call to Warn with yours isn't a bad idea.

FollowupID: 635622

Reply By: Atta Boy Luther - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:43

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 08:43
Hahaha , had the same problem with the warn himount . Took the winch off and bought it to arb and i told them it will not freespool . They looked at it and said they couldnt see anything wrong with it . I pulled it apart and cleaned the rusty surfaces of the cogs etc and replaced the grease/oil with new stuff . Sprayed the crap out of the winch motor with Rp7 and the solonoids as well . It took a while but after spooling under power a couple of meters in and out a few times every day it eventually woks fine now . You have to use it every week . Just power it in and out the length of the remote cord half a dozen times every week . Keeps everything lubed up .
AnswerID: 368079

Reply By: warfer69 - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 18:06

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 18:06
Considering this wench was the only one in the 4wd action to be basically watertight when totally submerged in water..In the real world it looks like its not worth the money considering other brands that are a quarter of the price are put through mud,water etc etc and still keep going..I will find it hard pressed to recommend Warn in future...Whatever the outcome..
AnswerID: 368136

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:49

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:49
Shouldn't believe everything you read in magazines mate, next you will be telling me you read Toyota's and Diesel's are the best off road vehicle.. LOLOLOL

FollowupID: 635721

Reply By: Members Paul and Melissa (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:48

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 20:48
maybe the brake inside the drum is seized up!!
AnswerID: 368164

Reply By: Member - Stuart P (WA) - Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 23:08

Tuesday, Jun 02, 2009 at 23:08
it needs a service , clean all planetary gears and replace grease . the free spool gear is seized
AnswerID: 368198

Follow Up By: Blaze (Berri) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:41

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 01:41
That was my guess Stuart, thanks for the advice, I know he doesnt use it very much so I guessed it had just seized (locked) in, just wanted some other feedback and appreciate your response.

FollowupID: 635759

Sponsored Links