The Cape

Submitted: Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 19:35
ThreadID: 6947 Views:1787 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
The problem .............. it looks like the only time we will have to do a run to the tip of Cape York is the end of Dec or begining of Jan.

Anyone done it that time of year in the wet season?

How did it go?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 20:05

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 20:05
That would be the most difficult time of year to attempt a Cape trip and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. You could find youself trapped up there for quite some time. Cairns can become inaccessable in the wet due to flooding let alone the Cape.
Cheers RobCairns Offroad Training & Tours
AnswerID: 29732

Reply By: Bne Lad - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 20:13

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 20:13
G'day Dennis,
Mate, during the wet season the roads between Townsville and Cairns sometimes get closed. I'm talking about water that the snorkel isn't capable of handling. You may be lucky and beat the weather, but it's a gamble. Better get up there quick though, The road is due to be bitumen the whole way real soon.

Cheers mate
Steve
AnswerID: 29733

Follow Up By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:37

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:37
Steve were did you get the idea that its going to be tar the hole way.
That has been the case for about 5 years or so.
All the best
EricCape York Connections
FollowupID: 20865

Reply By: Poppy - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 21:27

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 21:27
Hi Dennis
Mate I travel to the Cape every year and a couple of years back went up in October and on the way home crossed the Archer the day before it flooded for over a week, just lucky I guess, but I certainly wouldn't tackle it in Dec/Jan unless you have lots of time.
Cheers Poppy
AnswerID: 29737

Reply By: Dennis (Brisbane) - Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 23:58

Sunday, Aug 31, 2003 at 23:58
I have done it a few times in the dry (we are originally from NQ) but not since 94, but the family has never done the trek.

Was just curious if it was possible in the wet now, it's been 10 years since I was on that road and that's a long time. Wanted to know if the road conditions (water crossings) had improved.

Oh well, time to plan alternate trip in central Qld.............................

Any suggestions for 4 - 6 days off the beaten track in that area?
AnswerID: 29760

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:33

Monday, Sep 01, 2003 at 17:33
Dennis I think its pretty obviuos were your not going in december or january unless you have plenty of time on your hands . You can do it Linda from the croc shop in cooktown has done it a fair few times she may be able to give you a few tips. You arnt going to be able to go many places other than the main road and you may have to wait at the the river crossings.So it does not sound like its worth it to me.
All the best
Eric
www.capeyorkconnections.com.au
4wd Tag Along Adventures Cape York Connections
AnswerID: 29791

Sponsored Links