Getting ready for the trip, and what can go wrong before you start.

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:19
ThreadID: 69478 Views:2430 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday

My auxiliary battery has been in use for 4.5 years, so I decided to get a new one put in prior to the trip. At the same time I needed a heavy duty cable wired to a 50amp Anderson plug at the rear of the car.

After the installation, I found the wire connected to the cranking battery, with no evidence of a circuit breaker or fuse anywhere. I stood there scratching my head, thinking this must be some new fandangle way of doing things.

I’ve always worked on a gut feeling. If it doesn’t feel right, then 90% of the time it turns out to be true. Got the mate around to have a look at it, and he said “Nar mate, they’ve stuffed it up”

The installation was rectified in the end.

The moral of this little tale, is to inspect and test any work done on the car before you toddle off into remote areas.

Regards

Kim
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:29

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:29
Km

That moral is so true, we hear it all the time here on the forum of peoples misfortune due to equipment faults.

Hope you get 4.5 years out of the new auxiliary battery ;)

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 368273

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:44

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:44
Just got front swivel hub seals done. Had a broken diff breather hose so got them to replace it. Had a look tonight to see what they did. Breather hose was so tight if I got any movement in the axle other than on the black stuff it would have pulled the hose off. Handy heading into Cape York!!!!!! I agree, check everything, preferrably before paying.

Josh
AnswerID: 368277

Follow Up By: Sir Kev & Darkie - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:46

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 18:46
Watch out for those large fish you are going to feed up there as well Josh LOL

Cheers Kev
Russell Coight:
He was presented with a difficult decision: push on into the stretching deserts, or return home to his wife.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 635858

Follow Up By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 19:05

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 19:05
I don't mind feeding a few fish, it's the lizards I'm worried about feeding lol. 5 days till we leave, but who's counting. Julia has decided she wants to come out fishing as well. I still have a couple of spare seats if you are interested.

Josh
FollowupID: 635863

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 20:50

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 20:50
Thats the good thing about not letting anyone else work on your vehicle.I can only blame my self if anything goes wrong
AnswerID: 368299

Follow Up By: tim_c - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 11:56

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 11:56
Couldn't agree more - most times I've taken my car somewhere to have work done I've ended up regretting it, and often had to re-do much of the work myself anyway.
FollowupID: 635928

Reply By: Robin Miller - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 20:59

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 20:59
"The moral of this little tale, is to inspect and test any work done on the car before you toddle off into remote areas. "

I need that tatoo'ed onto number 1 son after the little story I told last week about him telling me as we arrive, that he just has to change the piston on the motor bike before we go for the ride !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 368301

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 21:33

Wednesday, Jun 03, 2009 at 21:33
Gidday Robin

Looks as though it’s going to be a wet and woolly weekend at Blue Gums. But no mind to that, a bit of grog and bull tish will warm the cockles.

See you around mid afternoon.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 635887

Sponsored Links