This is very sad indeed, and a great loss to the bush.

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 16:50
ThreadID: 69505 Views:3657 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I’ve known both Bruce and Fiona for about six years, and always admired their contribution to the bush. Unfortunately funding has run out and the organisation is forced to close.

Many of you will recall that Bruce Campbell AM MBE was the founder of the ‘Year of the Outback’ and created a bush icon.

Since those early days there was a name change to ‘Outback Calling’ www.outbackcalling.com.au but the focus remained the same.

I don’t know what I can do as an individual, but I’ll speak to Bruce over the coming days to see if something can be done. I have a few ideas, but if you have any suggestions please send me a MM.

‘A Message to Friends, Associates and Supporters of Outback Calling Ltd, from Chairman Bruce Campbell AM MBE

It is with very deep regret that I inform friends, associates and supporters that whilst enthusiastic interest in the Outback Calling Campaign continues to pour in, circumstances are such that we have not been successful in securing resources necessary to continue Outback Calling Ltd in its present form to take the Campaign to the next level.
Those of you who have followed and shared in developments since the days of Year of the Outback 2002 will know that the journey we have taken has been a long (over ten years) and wonderful one…
Outback 2002 detonated a nationwide chain reaction. Country and city Australians rallied to a call with which they easily identified. Beneficial outcomes abounded.
Then came calls to continue what Outback 2002 had begun. A range of programs followed, but a sense persisted that much more was required. Some Federal Government funding then enabled the process to continue and facilitated intensive nationwide research to produce a fresh plan without losing the spirit Year of the Outback had generated.
This plan was based on a continuing, ever expanding Outback Calling Campaign. However for its implementation and the continued operation of Outback Calling Ltd resources were needed for an intensive endeavour to engage the interest of all Australians and the involvement of Rural and Regional communities in the ‘Campaign’, the principal objectives of which are -
• To heighten recognition of the real values of Rural Australia, its people, its industries
• To provide a stronger national voice for Rural Australia
• To be a driver of marketing to attract residents and travelers to Rural Australia
• To foster career opportunities for young Australian in rural regions
In total, to continue building on the foundations laid by the Year of the Outback programme and to persist with the work that nationwide feedback has confirmed is so desperately needed.
Over recent weeks it appeared that a very suitable means of continuing the operation was at hand. However this has not materialized and hence this chapter of the Outback Calling Ltd must be brought to a close.
I take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you who has, over the years participated in what has evolved to become Outback Calling. Time on time I have been humbled by demonstrations of individuals and communities working together to create ‘modern miracles’ throughout, and since, the Year of the Outback and by the inspired spirit of the people in the ‘Bush’.
It is this spirit that leaves me certain that the work that has been commenced is by no means at an end.
The Plan is now available. It has come directly from the successes and lessons learned from Year of the Outback and from Australia wide feedback. It is achievable, it is vital and I know that in some way it will be brought to fruition.
For my own part I hope to write regularly through elements of the media on subjects which remain uppermost in my mind including advocating the implementation of the elements of the Outback Calling Campaign Plan, in particular the nationwide recognition of next year as “Outback Calling 2010” and in total doing all I can to ensure that the Outback message continues to be delivered.
I extend my heartfelt gratitude to all who have worked closely with me over the past decade, far too many to name, but those most recently being “Outback Calling Ltd” Directors… John Amos, Stan Wallace, Mark Woolley and Fiona Campbell-Maybury; members of the National Advisory Council… Mrs Terry Underwood OAM, Dennis Algie, Grant Cochrane, Bruce Collins, Doug Brockfield, Dr James Fitzpatrick, Geoff Fader, Dr Lesley Fitzpatrick, Keith Rasheed; and National Operations Coordinator, Lois Allan.
Finally, I once again borrow the words of Leighton B Watts to whom I have referred so often in the past and who says it so well
It's a place they call The Outback and we're never far apart
For the Outback's not a place at all it's the beating of my heart.
May your travels take you safely and may we meet again soon on the road to the greatest place on earth… the Outback’.
Warm regards

Bruce Campbell AM MBE (On behalf of the Directors and Team of Outback Calling Ltd)
Chairman Outback Calling Ltd
Founder and Chairman – Year of the Outback

Regards

Kim

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kevin J (Sunshine Coa - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 19:05

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 19:05
I realise that this is OT but the above appears to be just another smack at Regional and Remote Australia.

Kevin J
AnswerID: 368425

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 21:25

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 21:25
Kevin

Yes, I think a lot of money is being wasted.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 636021

Reply By: Flywest - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:43

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 14:43
From where are they seeking funding?

Seems to me (from inside goss) that the lotterys commissions are so successfull (despite the almost recession) that they are having trouble finding enough worthwile causes to give away all their funding too.

Maybe they need to apply for other form sof support like corporate sponsorship from the big players in the rural scene like Monsanto etc as well.

It's easey after such a lengthy period to just plum get burned out and one loss of revenue / funding is enough to be the straw that breaks the camels back and just give up.

Maybe if someone else steps up to the plate for a year or so to give Bruce & Fiona a well deserved spell, maybe the organisation could continue on doing the good work that rural Australia so sorely needs?

Seems a shame to see such an enterprise cease if you ask me.

Cheers
AnswerID: 368553

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:27

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 15:27
Gidday

I couldn’t contact Fiona yesterday, so I can’t answer your questions. After the break I’ll give her a ring on Tuesday.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 636122

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 15:55

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 15:55
their website still looks happy....?
AnswerID: 369334

Follow Up By: Kim and Damn Dog - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 19:09

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 19:09
Gidday

I've sent an e-mail to them, so we'll have to see what the response is.

Regards

Kim
FollowupID: 636800

Sponsored Links