V8 VDJ76 - wheel alignment

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 22:18
ThreadID: 69519 Views:7612 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I've been rifling through the repair manual, familiarizing myself with the new beaut - she's only days away.

I had a look at the section titled "Front wheel alignment - adjustment" and the way I read it, the only "adjustment" one can make is "toe-in".

Now - it stands to reason that is the case, given the design of the car.

Still - if that is the case, what would be the go with periodic wheel alignments?

On my sedan I do them at around 12,000 Km, and with good reason. But on a 4wd where everything that can go wrong is set in stone - what is the point for doing such a thing that often?

Cheers,

Ino!~

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Serendipity of Mandurah (WA) - Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:37

Thursday, Jun 04, 2009 at 23:37
Hi Ino

I have the V8 vdj79 ute. Just had a steering alignment after 18months old. Did it because the steering was pulling to the left. Tyre joint said there was not a lot they can do. Only time you need an alignment is if you replace tie rod ends or have had one almighty knock doing air jumps. I have had neither so was a bit concerned about the alignment. They did change the toe in settings but recommended I take it back to toyota to check the alignment parameters. Toyota said the car was fine but did agree it was pulling to the left. This pull to the left only started after the last service when the tyres where rotated. Toyota consulted a local tyre and suspension expert who believed it was coming from the tyre rotation. They rerotated the tyres and pull to the left was all but gone. I went to speak to this guy and he said he only occasionally has seen this where it is the tyres that are causing it.

You original question - no don't bother with a steering alignment unless there is a bad pull to one side or you notice wear on the shoulders of your steering tyres.

In the past I purchased a cruiser ute with a bent front axle - had to get it straighened.

David

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 368469

Follow Up By: Ino - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 00:02

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 00:02
Most appreciated your answer - Serendipity. It's exactly what I thought so, too.

I do watch my tyres like a hawk and more often than not, I notice if there is any un-even wear pattern starting, so I guess I'll just have to keep checking it.

Thanks again,

Ino!~
FollowupID: 636049

Reply By: Member - Toyocrusa (NSW) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:18

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 06:18
Hi Ino. A lot of modern sedans only have toe in adjustment,there is no adjustment for camber or caster. It is wise after the vehicle is run in and settled in the suspension to have the alignment checked. Any change in suspension height will change the toe in setting and normally they are not perfectly set up when purchased from the dealer.As said,tyre pull can be a cause of vague steering. Regards,Bob.
AnswerID: 368486

Follow Up By: Member - Shane D (QLD) - Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 17:36

Friday, Jun 05, 2009 at 17:36
Front live axled vehicles toe in will NOT change with suspension lifts, only castor will
Shane
FollowupID: 636139

Sponsored Links