One for early hilux IFS experts

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 13:09
ThreadID: 69559 Views:2487 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have heard conflicting stories about the IFS in Hilux etc. I have a 92 4runner with a leaky seal on the front diff RHS gear shaft. Some people say it is meant to be solid while others say there should be some "slop" in it, What are the facts? I don't want to strip the diff for no reason. Someone also mentioned a brass bush in there.

Any info please as I'm awfully confused.

Louie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leevon - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 16:20

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 16:20
G'Day Louie,

I can't really comment on the seals, however, the guys at http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/ are very helpful, and have lots of good info primarily for Surf owners, but they don't hold a grudge about 4 Runner owners.....

Cheers
AnswerID: 368717

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 17:01

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 17:01
I've been on there but there never seems to be many people on there. I've also been on the yankee forum but I find those guys a bit strange. Some of their "speak" is a bit weird.

Louie
FollowupID: 636239

Reply By: splits - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 00:06

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 00:06
Louie

I have a 03 Lux and its front axles flop around like you would not believe at their inner ends. I took it to a friend at the local Toyota dealer and asked him. I worked with this man at that dealership when he was an apprentice back in the early 1980s and he is still working there. He said it is normal. We even checked a new one and it had a fair bit of movement.

One day I will get around to taking the axles out to see why. I would have already known had I worked on them back in the 80s but IFS suspensions were just coming in then and I did not touch any. In the meantime, the car has done 40,000 ks since I asked him and nothing has fallen apart.
AnswerID: 368769

Follow Up By: Louie the fly (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 19:45

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 19:45
Thanks splits. I found out since posting the thread that it should have some play. About 3 - 4 mm, whereas mine has 6mm or so. My seal is shot so I will replace that. I read that a common reason for the seal flogging out is from removing the oil filter and not cleaning the dregs off. The dirt accumulates there and works it way into the seal.

Cheers

Louie

FollowupID: 636356

Sponsored Links