2wd camper from Cameron's corner to Innamincka, and south down Strzelecki track.

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 18:05
ThreadID: 69569 Views:7524 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hello all, I would like to take my elder father on his last road trip towards the end of the month. I have done the Oodnadatta Track and also from Broken Hill to Cameron's corner in my 2wd Hiace with no problems (in January). However this time I would like to continue from Cameron's corner, Innamincka, and south down Strzelecki track.
Is this a task at this time of year or am I dreaming. Outback driving and track is not an issue with over 430,000 klm in the van in all conditions. I personally don't mind getting stranded of waiting on a track for a few days waiting for conditions to improve.
Any Info on track conditions and opinions on making the trip in the van appreciated....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: get outmore - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 18:39

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 18:39
well cant coment on your Hi ace but my old nissan van was definitly comercially built as in as far as strngth went if it had the ground clearance there was no worries about breaking stuff. I ran LT tyres on it though.

boggy conditions were always a worry for it
AnswerID: 368737

Follow Up By: Trent M - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 19:03

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 19:03
The strength is great, ground clearance has never been an issue i'm the same in regards as boggy conditions.
Would really like to find out the track recent condition between Camerons Corner's to Innamincka and if anyone has seen a 2wd make this trip. A phone call to Bill at the Corner is my only alternative.
FollowupID: 636259

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 19:26

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 19:26
If only I could come with you, it will be fantastic out there at this time of year.

Your only issue will be rain but the forecasts are pretty good these days so just keep an eye out. If it does look like rain you should be able to get to Tibooburra or to Lyndhurst from anywhere on that route in a day.

The road from Cameron's to Merty Merty was a bit rough in patches when I was there just after Easter but there was nothing that would stop a trusty old Hiace.

It could be very cold at night so take something to keep you warm and don't count on a campfire. You should be able to manage one but firewood can be scarce as there are not a lot of trees.

Duncs
AnswerID: 368742

Follow Up By: Trent M - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 20:10

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 20:10
Thank you for your follow up Duncs, I'll keep an eye out on the web and make the calls next week to find out up today road conditions.
I did the Oodnadatta Track in January, when I took my two boys up to the Uluru, king’s canyon and up to the devils marbles, lots of tracks and sand driving, thank god for momentum! The Dunlop LT tyres made the 9500klm return trip to Sydney with no trouble. I loved the hot dry temperature of January but have not travelled at this time of year.
FollowupID: 636265

Reply By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 20:48

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 20:48
Hi Trent
We were out that way last month, the Strzelecki track is in very good condition and will be no trouble.
Just watch going from Cameron Corner to Merty Merty as there are some large holes on the north/west side of the hills which you can't see untill you are on them, just take is slow over the top and drive around the deeper ones and you will not have a problem.

Have a great trip.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

AnswerID: 368750

Follow Up By: Trent M - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 20:55

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 20:55
Thanks Chris, nothing like getting first hand knowledge...

FollowupID: 636272

Follow Up By: Trent M - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 21:07

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 21:07
Just noticed your map, and noticed lake Ayre. The reason I’m fishing for information is because I have a flight booked from William Creek over Lake Ayre on the 17th. Dad has always be going to do a road trip bit with his failing health it would never happen, so I thought I would take the time and go with him.
Dependant on weather I may put the flight back and change direction and do Sydney > Cameron's corner to Innamincka, and south down Strzelecki track and then back up the Oodnadatta to William Creek...Sometimes you just have to say.... I'm going!
FollowupID: 636273

Follow Up By: Member - Chris & Debbie (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 21:26

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 21:26
We tried to get a flight from William Creek but they were booked solid for 2 weeks. We should should have booked ahead but I never know where we will end up yet alone on what day.
As long as the weather holds out you will not have a problem with any of the roads you have mentioned.
Again enjoy the trip and give your father the trip he has never got around to doing.
Chris
Coddiwomple (v.) To travel purposefully towards a vague destination.

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message
Classifieds: Codan Envoy HF Radio X1 for sale

FollowupID: 636277

Reply By: MEMBER - Darian (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:37

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:37
Yep - in the main, all those areas you mention don't have clearance issues at all - 2wd cars should be quite happy (hell - in many places it's like sealed road smoothness). Rain dramatically changes the equation of course. The only other note I have is stones - they can be buggers as you know from your other travels outback - a couple of the areas you mention (lower Strz for one) can have really bad sharp stones for a 100k or so - there were rubber shards all along the road sides (from truck tyres failing I guess) - that was the case 2 years back anyway - 2 spare wheels would not be overkill. Hope you and Dad have a great time out there.
AnswerID: 368800

Follow Up By: Trent M - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:57

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 09:57
Thanks Darian, i'll have one spare wheel and a spare tyre for fitting to a rim in an emergancy or incase they dont have a tyre on the tracks.
FollowupID: 636297

Sponsored Links