Ground clearance and tyres

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:18
ThreadID: 69572 Views:2824 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I have a standard 3 door Grand Vitara (SQ420). It has the SWB advantage, but a decent mud rut will stop it easily (with all 4 wheels spinning in the air!). I'm considering fixing this with a 2.5" Calmini suspension lift, 2" body lift and 31" tyres (original is 235/60/R16). One major hesitation is, wondering if that be enough - should I give it up and upgrade to something bigger before spending $$ on mods...

This leads me to ask you all, two questions:

What size tyre do you have?

What minimum tyre size would you recommend to prevent getting stuck in the ruts?

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Wherehegon - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:39

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:39
Hi Glen, I had two vitara's, one 92 mod the other 01, both 3 doors both had max lift 2 inch, (being IFS) bigger tyres etc the list goes on. Learnt after the second one that neither of them had enough height or room (for my needs at the time)........

"What minimum tyre size would you recommend to prevent getting stuck in the ruts?""

Cant be answered !!! Ruts range in depth, what type of vehicles mainly have been through them..If you have had some thing with 35's or larger ripping through them (which are common on the bigger 4wd's (cruisers/patrols) you wont match them.

Standard height you pretty much cant beat the older hilux's (preD4D) Even though they have IFS or leaf springs in the earlier ones they have ample ground clearance standard, add a 2 inch lift like I did the old lux and it will be heaps unless you really want to start dropping off or climbing rocks shelfs, etc, then you will be talking front and rear lockers as well, the list goes on. Dont get me wrong I love the suzukis reckn there great but vitara's will lack the clearance. The older sierra's or if you want to keep it small the jimny's are great for a lift being coil and live axles either end....Dont forget the bigger the tyre the more it plays with the low range gearing as well, and can tell you the sukz dont have as good low range as the hilux's or toyota's in general... At the end of the day it depends on your needs/wants.. general 4wdriving (sukz are great fun and reliable, touring (sukz too small), rock hopping count the vitara out.........Just my opinion, sure others will probably disagree with me. WHG
AnswerID: 368758

Reply By: Crackles - Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:48

Saturday, Jun 06, 2009 at 22:48
Depends where you are going Glen as to what tyre size is best. 31" is very common amoung medium duty 4bys & will see you clear your diffs on most tracks. I run 33" (285/75/16) & find I rarely hit or get caught up on anything in the High Country, dunes or deserts. Those that like to "Play" on difficult tracks normally run with 35 or 37" & if you are trying to follow these chaps with 31's you'll be left high & dry.
If you you intend to get serious, upgrade the Suzy now.
Cheers Craig.............
AnswerID: 368759

Reply By: Ray - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 08:47

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 08:47
It's best not to get in that situation in the first place
AnswerID: 368791

Reply By: glen_ep - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:07

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:07
Thanks guys. Sounds like 31" is a minimum for average tracks, which doesn't provide me with much confidence. Guess I'll need something bigger to keep up with a raised Surf...
AnswerID: 368821

Sponsored Links