Best caravan park in Roxby

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 10:10
ThreadID: 69581 Views:2939 Replies:6 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I found some info on the Myall Grove Park but not much on the other park. We will be in a camper trailer and don't care if we end up with powered or unpowered.

Regards Scoof . :-)
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jdwynn (Adelaide) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 10:56

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 10:56
Scoof, I'll be interested in other replies but we have never stopped anywhere there but Myall Gve and never had a problem with them, and probably wouldn't think of going to the other park there. cheers
AnswerID: 368812

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:51

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:51
Thanks jdwynn ,

I have never been to Roxby .

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 636316

Reply By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 17:21

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 17:21
G'day Scoof,

If you like bush camping there are heaps of places around Roxby.

If you leave Roxby and take the Andamooka road you will see lots of tracks that lead off to the right.(into the scrub)

There are many tracks and many places to camp, with wood everywhere,not far from town.

Regards,
Adam.

AnswerID: 368842

Follow Up By: Member - Adam S (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 17:35

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 17:35
Sorry Scoof,

I should have said most tracks lead off to the left once you are on the Andamooka road.

Image Could Not Be Found
FollowupID: 636346

Reply By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:28

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 18:28
Thanks I did get asked today about the availability of wood so thanks.

Might spend a couple nights free camping and a couple in a caravan park.

Cheers for the reply.

Scoof . :-)
AnswerID: 368846

Reply By: Member - Cookie & Di - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 20:50

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 20:50
There is a Lake about 20km on the southern side of Roxby where you can camp. I think it's called Lake Mary, very nice spot.
AnswerID: 368867

Reply By: Member - Josh (VIC) - Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 23:34

Sunday, Jun 07, 2009 at 23:34
The Myall Grove is the better of the two parks but also more expensive. It is much cleaner. The other park was supposed to be pulled down but due to lack of accommodation they could not afford to. We left Roxby in April last year after living/working there for 8 months. At that point you were not able to camp in the Myall Grove for more than 4 nights. The park changed hands a couple of months before we left so that may be different now. If you plan to stay more than a couple of nights it may be worth checking. Andamooka is great for noodling for opal, we now have a great collection. Lake Mary is well worth a look. There is a track from Andamooka across the top of lake Torrens to Farina which is a great drive. We took our trailer across there. The mine tour at Roxby is worth a look. When we were there I worked for Outback Landscaping and did the landscaping around the transportable homes BHP bought up from Adelaide. We laid over 7000 cubic mtrs of mulch and we were laying turf in 45 degree heat, very interesting.
You are not supposed to free camp between roxby and Andamooka but lots of people do and has become accepted. Be careful what wood you use for fire wood. There is a tree that grows around Roxby called a "Myall" tree. It is a $10,000 fine for damaging a tree or removing dead timber from the ground and is taken very seriously by the locals. Where we were landscaping some of the houses were moved so that Myall trees were not damaged. One of the builders was fined for removing a branch about 3 inches thick.
It is an amazing place with lots to see.

Josh
AnswerID: 368885

Follow Up By: Member - Scoof (SA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 00:59

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 00:59
Thanks Josh ,

Nothing like first hand info.

Cheers Scoof . :-)
FollowupID: 636390

Reply By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:07

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:07
Hi Scoof, The only thing you have to be careful of between Roxby and Andamooka are themine workers who like to get out in the bush and get drunk and drive crazily and cause trouble for bush campers. We were there several yrs. ago. We did bush camp but got in well away from sight. We stayed in a Park as well where a lot of the workers had their homes but can't remember the name of it. Back then the mine workers had nothing much to do on the days off or when the mines shut down for maintainance, things may have changed now.We'd planned to camp at Andamooka but there was nothing there, as it was just on dark we had to bush camp warnings from locals or not about the louts. The mine had the Parks full of thier workers and maintainance people because the Mine was shut for maintainance, happens regularly. Have a great trip. Bye for now .Take care Sally C.
AnswerID: 368917

Sponsored Links