Australian made "LOKKA" Diff Lock

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:19
ThreadID: 69607 Views:6691 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
G'Day, Has anyone used the Australian made "LOKKA" diff lock or know of anyone who has them installed? How well do they perform and do they cause any problems with steering and turning corners? I'd be very greatful of any ideas. Thanks. Neville.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mfewster(SA) - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:46

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 11:46
There is lots about these and comparisons with other lockers in the forum archives. I have them in the front on a 60 series LC. Very happy. Get them installed by someone who knows what they are about. Dont use them on full time 4WD. No difference in the steering when not in 4wd. A slight change in the self centring feel when in 4wd. Nothing you wont adjust to quite quickly. Most users think they are better on front than rear. Great for dune driving or situations where you might want them turning on and off repeatedly.
AnswerID: 368922

Reply By: splits - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 14:10

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 14:10
Neville
I agree with what Mfewster said. I have one in the front of my car (part time 4wd) and I will keep using them as long as I have 4bs.

I installed it because I got sick of the car loosing the use of the front axle everytime it lifted a front wheel off the ground in a difficult situation. If the rear axle could keep the car going then it was not a problem. If it couldn't then you would sit there with both rear wheels spinning plus the lifted front one and the car going nowhere.

These diffs always have at least one wheel driving and that makes a huge difference. It is not mechanically possible to have no wheels driving.

I installed it myself but I have had previous diff experience. It is not hard to do but if you choose to go that way, I would recommend you get a workshop manual in addition to the instructions supplied with the lokka. The installation instructions could easily leave a lot of unanswered questions for the inexperienced.

The archives have a lot of info on them as has already been pointed out, This recent lengthy disussion on the link below is also well worth reading.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=69015
AnswerID: 368936

Reply By: Member -Dodger - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 16:57

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 16:57
Have had one in my Patrol now for 170k without problems.
Yes it is in the front axle and the steering is slightly altered when 4wd is engaged but you will soon get used to it.
I have had a front locker in my last 2 4wd vehicles and would not be without one.
Beats electronic traction aids hands down.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 368964

Reply By: Falco80 - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 18:36

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 18:36
I had one of these in my part-time kitted 80 series, and recommend them also. The steering was of course heavier and wanted to return to centre all the time in 4wd, but the benefit of extra traction made it worthwhile! Like others have mentioned get it installed by someone with diff experience if you can. Sometimes l found it would not unlock if l was pointed downhill and trying to turn, but a quick stab of the accelerator soon sorted it out!
If you have a part-time 4wd with free-wheeling hubs l would recommend one of these mechanical lockers.

Cheers,
Dan
AnswerID: 368976

Reply By: Twinkles - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:42

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 20:42
Me too. Front diff. Makes big difference. Same as above about steering. Had mine in Hilux for about 60000km
AnswerID: 369009

Reply By: cruza25 - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:30

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:30
had one in my 100 series part time 4x4 for a while now

great extra traction and easy to fit - just be carefull and measure clearance

biggest pain was re fitting crownwheel

good luck

mik
AnswerID: 369025

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 00:09

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 00:09
Can't fault mine, no downsides on the Jackaroo fitted to the front...can't even hear the damned thing although I know it definitely works.
AnswerID: 369047

Reply By: Member - Tony & Julie (FNQ) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:27

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 17:27
Im with all the above. Mine are in the front and worth their weight in Gold. No troubles but always I take it easy in the hard stuff.

You would have to be experienced to fit them to the more modern cars, get someone to fit them because you may need machining or more shims.

I would also recommend to add Manual Locking hubs if you have not already got them. Cheers tony
AnswerID: 369151

Follow Up By: Member - Neville & Sally C (VI - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 14:21

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 14:21
G'Day, We've been having some problems with our service. but hopefully this will go to you all this time. I've decided to install the "LOKKA" in the front. All of your replies were very much apreciated and taken on board. Thanks for taking the time it was good to hear from you. Good on ya's.
Regards Neville.
FollowupID: 636760

Sponsored Links