How do "aussie swag cap trialer stack up against the Odyssey Export from AORC ?

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 15:51
ThreadID: 69614 Views:4256 Replies:3 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi again all (i think i may be over stepping my thread limit a bit today ?)
I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on the differences good or bad between the "aussie swag and the Odyssey Export from AORC units?

Kind regards GN
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rod, Sydney - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:28

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:28
Hi GN.

We are still in the research stage so take my comments with that in mind.

We think the Aussie Swag, Odyssey and KK are all top quality products. We have spent a lot of time looking at all three and trying to come up with the best set of features for a price to suit our specific needs. Items such as kitchen, water heater, electrics, tow ball weight and storage are the points that seem to make a difference.

If I was buying new I'd buy an Odyssey, but we are looking for a second hand one so have to relax our requirements a little. All three companies have been helpful when asking questions.

Have fun.
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 369055

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:53

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 08:53
Hi Rod
thanks for you info
What is it that pushes you toward the Odessey over the other 2?
also what is the different draw bar weights?
do you know the actual total weights of the different campers also?

Kind Regards
GN
FollowupID: 636546

Follow Up By: draff - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:04

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:04
GN,

If you are looking for a second hand Odyssey, there was one in the trading post last week in Southern Qld. We have been in the market for a second hand camper trailer and thought this AORC was a good price for second hand but yesterday we bought a Tvan instead!

Draff
FollowupID: 636718

Follow Up By: draff - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:05

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:05
Opps Sorry - that should have been adressed to Rod - not GN.
FollowupID: 636720

Follow Up By: Rod, Sydney - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:24

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:24
Thanks for the heads-up Draff. We have seen that one but are being fussy and hoping to find an Export model. Cheers
Rod, Perth

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 636722

Reply By: Member - Leanne W (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:26

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:26
Hi GN,

Have you had a look at their websites? Most of your questions relating to tow ball weights and overall weight could be answered on the websites.

Will you be travelling with kids? If so, the Aussie Swag has a 'kids room' that can be left attached and fold up with the rest of the canvas. I'm not sure about the Odyssey.

If you haven't been to a show, try and get to one and see them both at the same time. This may help your decision.

Leanne
AnswerID: 369065

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:04

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:04
Show is a good idea, its just the time issue as always i guess.

thanks Leanne

GN
FollowupID: 637108

Reply By: draff - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:17

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 09:17
GN,

We have just been through the process of researching between similar choices - its a long process. We ended up buying a second hand Tvan. However our thoughts on AORC & Aussie Swag were;
* both are good quality & both companies were extremely friendly and helpful to deal with
* AORC seemed to us to be slightly more 'rugged'
* both had great kitchens
* AORC had a gas hot water system whereas Aussie Swag's system required the use of a generator
* Aussie Swag had drawer access to pack clothes when the camper was packed up whereas AORC did not - but this did introduce another potential dust seal issue
* Aussie Swag's tent area slopes more steeply on the end which reduces the useable spare in the tent area - AORC's is less steeply sloped - I hope this point makes sense as its amazing how much useable space is lost by the sloping wall

Overall, if we had our choice we would buy an AORC over an Aussie Swag but I don't think you would be disappointed with either.

Note: we purchased a Tvan because their useable space in the tent area is suprisingly larger as the end tent wall slopes outwards not inwards like the others and we felt it just suited our needs better at this stage.

Its all up to what suits you best ....
'Draff
AnswerID: 369266

Follow Up By: Member - G N (VIC) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:00

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:00
Hi Draff

I think i like the AORC
the one with the boat in the trader was probably a good buy by the look?

Interesting about the wall slope info,

many thanks GN
FollowupID: 637107

Follow Up By: draff - Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:03

Monday, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:03
Yep that would have been a bargain! They pop up second hand very rarely in our experience and most often in Queensland. ...

good luck!
Draff
FollowupID: 637440

Sponsored Links