corner country in september 2010

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 21:38
ThreadID: 69634 Views:2472 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
If anyone can help for what preparation and equipment I might need to put on my 2001 GU patrol for the corner country as well as the strzelecki flinders rangers and birdsville track that I am going to undertake in September 2010 with my family.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Troopy's Crew - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:04

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:04
Hi,

Do you have a name?

Use this site and any other source of information you can get your hands on to thoroughly research where you will be going. The roads are generally fairly good gravel which is OK when dry but can be closed if it rains. Get maps of the area, so you know where you are heading. If your vehicle is in good condition you will not need anything special other than 2 spares and the usual recovery gear and plenty of water - and a sense of wonder and adventure.

Cheers,

Val
J and V
"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."
- Albert Einstein

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369032

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:39

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:39
A bog standard GU will do the trip just fine but I would add a couple of things to make it nicer and a little safer.

Compressor this is an underated accessory that I would not go bush without. It is very versatile and to state the obvious how else do you pump up tyres.

A snorkel is nice to keep the air intake up out of at least some of the dust.

A duel battery system is good insurance but not essential depending on the electrical gear you will be taking e.g. fridge and the above mentioned compressor.

Some books to help you ID birds and animals and a willingness to look closely at a landscape that you could mistake for not having much in it. It is beautiful if you take your time and let it soak in.

Duncs
AnswerID: 369039

Reply By: Member - Wim (Qld) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:23

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 09:23
Note: You can not rely on fuel being available at Cameron Corner.
Camper setup
July 2012 - Hay River & Binns track
VKS 737 Mobile 0091
Selcall 0091

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369063

Reply By:- Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:13

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:13
Thank you for your comments about the corner country. Very much appreciated.
Stewart.
AnswerID: 369074

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:12

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 18:12
Hi there. I agree with Duncs - take a compressor, and then you can let your tyres down to say 25 psi on the gibber, and save damage to tyres. I also believe in LT rating tyres on those roads (from experience), and I wouldn't go without a second spare. Beyond that, there's no reason to get excited, unless you are really going bush.
AnswerID: 369160

Reply By: The Landy - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:11

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:11
One of my favourite places as there is plenty to see and do in the whole region. I'd suggest you obtain copies of the Westprint / Hema maps of the area as they give plenty of information on things to see and do.

Take your time to enjoy the place rather than rushing through areas.

In terms of vehicle preparation; any stock standard 4WD drive vehicle will be fine and as always drive to the conditions on outback roads.

I wrote a note on one of our trips to the region....email me if you would like to discuss further. Email address is in my profile.

Corner Country

Cheers
AnswerID: 369462

Sponsored Links