Itinerary Cairns to Tweed Heads

Submitted: Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:42
ThreadID: 69638 Views:2389 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Can anyone help. My young family of six (14-8yrs) will go from cairns to Tweed Heads in three weeks by campervan. Prado pulling off road twin axle Windsor rapid. Can anyone suggest a fun itinerary??? We were thinking cairns, cooktown, atherton tablelands, Mackay, maybe whitsundays(that's as far as I got). Any suggestions? Are the extra K's to kurumba worth it. Can I take the van up to cooktown via the coast road? Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Many thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: sweetcaroline - Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:44

Monday, Jun 08, 2009 at 22:44
I forgot to mention that we have four weeks to do it in. OOPS.
AnswerID: 369040

Reply By: kend88 - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:30

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 16:30
Paronella Park near Innisfail is worth a night. Free caravan park for the night if you pay entry fee. If you do all of the free guided tours it is very interesting. I think the kids may get something out of it.
If you head inland a bit to Emerald / Rubyvale, one or two days hunting for saphires in the buckets of ore you buy for about $8 is a lot of fun. While in the area, a free guided tour of the Blair Athol mine near Clermont is much more interesting and enjoyable than it may sound.
We left our van at Wonga beach and drove up Bloomfield track and stayed a night in a motel at Cooktown and came back on the inland road. Wouldn't like to have towed the van after seeing the track, but a true offroad van could be ok. Really enjoyed Cooktown. Undarra Lava tubes are well worth a vist but a bit out of your way, unless you decided to do the Kurumba trip. Yeppoon and Bagara Beach are good for a couple of days.
AnswerID: 369135

Reply By: sweetcaroline - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:17

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:17
thanks for the ideas. They are greatly appreciated.
AnswerID: 369228

Sponsored Links