Turbo diesel - Oil in intake manifold

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:03
ThreadID: 69664 Views:28633 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 95 series Prado with the 1KZ-TE diesel. When I changed engine oil and filter today, I noticed oil leaks around the throttle body which connects to the intake manifold. I investigated the leaks by removing the throttle body and intercooler, found enough oil inside the intake manifold to be able to wipe it up, plus traces of oil (enough to blacken my finger) on the entry throat to the intercooler. Fins also appeared slightly oil coated.

This would seem to indicate leaking oil seals in the turbo charger. It had used a slight amount of oil between the last 5k oil change but not really enough for a top up.

Is my assessment of leaking turbo seals correct?
How urgent would it be to fix the turbo’s oil seals?

While I’m fairly mechanically proficient, I don’t have a dial gauge to check end float or turbine shaft runout and I haven’t set up a turbo previously.

Any suggestions for repair?

My preference is to remove the turbo myself, have it repaired by a professional and then reinstall it myself. I’m in Sydney so any recommendations are welcome.

Peter
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Isuzumu - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:17

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:17
I am pretty sure it is not your turbo..... I have the same problem when I forget to empty my catch can....a modification people do to stop what is happening in your case.
There is a breather hose which come out of the rocker cover and goes into the into between the air box and the turbo (it is on the Isuzus). This is caused when you have a restriction in the air filter say, but it is something that the oil builds up after time and the intercooler needs to come off and be cleaned, the catch can is to save you having to do this to often.
hope this makes since, I had to to mine today as I forget to clean the oil out of the can. What happens is the oil in the intercooler will cause you to loose boost (good idea to have a boost gauge)
AnswerID: 369181

Reply By: Malleerv - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:24

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:24
Curious,
Curiosity killed the cat!

Put it all back together and enjoy driving it.
The oil in the intake manifold is from the crankcase breather which enters between the air filter and turbo(Suction side of intake). It is very common and I am yet to pull a intake pipe off a diesel with this setup and find it clean(I'm a country mechanic who sees alot of 4wd's). The intercooler is a great place for the oil to collect and if you stand it on end for some time you will probably drain a tablespoon of oil out.

It is not a problem as oil vapour from the crankcase is sucked into the intake from the breather. Others will tell you the same there is no need to rebuild the turbo. Tighten all clamps on the intake and clean it off then forget about it.

Cheers Matt
AnswerID: 369183

Reply By: Mudripper - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:31

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 19:31
Got caught out the same way when I inspected the intake pipes on my Rodeo. Turned out to be what the others are describing above. After posting a thread on this forum, the panic level went down drastically!
AnswerID: 369187

Reply By: curious - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:05

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:05
Bruce & Matt, thanks for your detailed feedback and advice. I certainly appreciate your reassurance that it's ok. Mudripper, my panic level has subsided now too.

I was initially surprised by the oil leaks around the base of the throttle housing but I've cleaned and reassembled everything and made sure all joints were tight.

Many thanks,

Peter
AnswerID: 369200

Sponsored Links