Bunge Bunges and caravans

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 20:47
ThreadID: 69669 Views:2974 Replies:11 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,

Just picking your brains again. As was pointed out to me last week on this great forum, you can now take caravans into the Bungles.
This has been confirmed from the kununurra CALM office.

My question though is - We are going in July, does anyone know from EXPERIENCE what the track is like, water crossing levels etc and whether a caravan is ok to go in there.

Our van is a single axel, Windsor RAPID 'OFFROAD' which is towed behind a Nissan Patrol.

Thanks,

Hooroo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jezza68 - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:16

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:16
I wouldnt recommend it. The track is narrow and very rough. Yes you maybe able to get a caravan in there but the speed you would have to travel at, to prevent damage would be selfish and unfair for other travellers accessing the Bungles. There is very little opportunity for passing and July would be the peak season.
I am not familiar with the Windsor offroad but I would not attempt this road unless you had genuine offroad chassis, suspension and structure.
Leave the van at Kununurra/Halls Creek and tent it for a couple of nights.
AnswerID: 369214

Follow Up By: Hooroo WA - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:40

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:40
Cheers mate,

I thought as much so we will go back to our plans of tenting it for a couple of days.
FollowupID: 636673

Reply By: Member - Roger B (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:48

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:48
Leave your van at Spring Creek, just a few hundred metres from the start of the track into the Bungles. There's always a few others there. Especially in July. Some of the creek crossings are very steep in and out. Overhanging trees also. You'll enjoy the drive in with no van. Cheers.

Roger B...
AnswerID: 369219

Reply By: Witi Repartee - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:55

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 21:55
Sounds like a wind up to me.
AnswerID: 369221

Reply By: Member - Matt & Julie (VIC) - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:14

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:14
Hi
We stayed at Turkey creek road house they have a pool and about 20 sights and not to far to travel to the Bungles
Cheers

Matt & Julie

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 369227

Reply By: ozwasp - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:35

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 22:35
The track in is terrible - took me about 3 hours to do the 43km or so
I've heard you can leave your van in Halls Creek somewhere for a fee.
No facilities out at the Bungle Bungles, so don't expect a shower - Nice place though.
AnswerID: 369231

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:32

Tuesday, Jun 09, 2009 at 23:32
Hi Hooroo

We were staying with friends in Kununurra, so left the van and went from there, spending three days (including travel) and two nights camping out. It was lovely. The drive from Kununurra was very scenic too; and different in the morning light on the way to late afternoon light on the return.

The biggest risk is people who travel too fast in which case you may need to take to the bush. This scenario resulted in a camper trailer losing its axle and needing to be recovered, while the perpetrator was long gone. Another camper was rolled on the track in while we were there.

Creek crossings were very shallow by early August last year. Most of the track was hard base, with only one sandy patch, where the Ultimate camper was rolled. Some places are narrow with poor visibility.

Motherhen
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369244

Reply By: Hooroo WA - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:21

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 00:21
Thankyou all,

Thats the great thing about this forum, being able to ask people to share thier experiences and people taking the time to help out others.

See you all out there,

Hooroo
AnswerID: 369247

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:24

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 01:24
Warman (Turkey Creek) Roadhouse has a locked compound and will store your van for $10 per night.
AnswerID: 369249

Reply By: pheonix - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:20

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:20
I went into the Bungles last year with my outback Jayco Eagle. Yes it is a rough track but driving to the conditions and taking your time you will have no problems. Lower your tyre pressure too! One thing I learnt was do your homework on the roads and tracks as not everything people tell you is correct or they see the track conditions differently. The rapid can do everything my eagle can do.

Graeme
AnswerID: 369339

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 17:09

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 17:09
We were there four years ago and and at that time, caravans we banned. We were told that some people drove in with one a couple of days before we got there and was promptly told by the rangers to leave immediately.

We took an off road camper trailer in and had no problems. I have no doubt that a good caravan, driven to the conditions, would have no problem with the road. The problem for the rangers is, if they permit one van, they would have to permit them all. A couple of broken vans on the road in the right spot would soon make it impassable to everyone. I suspect this is the reason for the ban - if it still exists.

Norm C
AnswerID: 369348

Reply By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 23:19

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2009 at 23:19
Flew in there last week and the guide said he had just come in and it took 2 hours for the 53km

He said the road is badly corrugated but of course may be graded before you get there.

HOWEVER there was NO trailers in there at all.

Wouldnt wreck my vehicle for that so just paid lots for the flight.

AnswerID: 370435

Sponsored Links