Bourke to Lake Eyre and beyond via Camerons Corner

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 15:31
ThreadID: 69685 Views:5683 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
In July we plan to travel in Toyota Prado towing an A Van departing Bourke and going via Tibooburra, Camerons Corner, Innamincka, Maree and Williams Creek to Coober Pedy. Is that route feasible pulling a van? Do we need to book in advance for a flight over Lake Eyre. We would appreciate any advice
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Tenpounder (SA) - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:08

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 16:08
Hi there. I have travelled the Birdsville and Oodnadatta parts of your route several times in the last few years. Main issues (usually - unless floods etc. get in the way) are corrugations and loose gibber/gravel.
I own a Prado, and certainly hold no fears about that part, but I would prefer to tow a serious camper trailer (T-Van; Kimberley; Ultimate) rather than a van on those roads.
You risk stone damage to both the tow vehicle and the van, and also LT rating tyres all round would be a must for me.
It's a long way, even at 70 kph!! and I'm not sure I'd tow an A-van at even that speed (but then, the corrugations are SOOO much better at 95 - 100 or more!!).
My friend lost the rear side window of his patrol last year due to a convoy of idiots coming the other way on the Bridsville, towing CTs, who couldn't be bothered to slow down for us, and truly showered us with rocks.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 369338

Reply By: DIO - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 17:54

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 17:54
Might pay for you to check with the respective airlines re seat availability. I have heard that they are currently booked out for the next 2 weeks. Probably get worse as school holiday approach.
AnswerID: 369355

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 18:20

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 18:20
I have travelled that whole route a couple of times bith with and without a trailer. It is a pretty easy run providing it is dry.

I have reservations about the A Van. I only know one guy who owns one. He lives in Broken Hill and when he bought it new they advised he minimise use on unsealed roads.

He did tow it on dirt once for a short distance. Nothing broke but he found a few things had rattled loose and the van was full of dust.

Knowing the road he was on, the Dry Lake Rd from the Barrier Highway to the White Cliffs Rd about 30km, and the road you are talking about I would not take the A Van along that trip.

Duncs
AnswerID: 369361

Sponsored Links