Track condition, vechile damage & Fish count

Submitted: Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 23:03
ThreadID: 69703 Views:3180 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Left Cairns on Monday heading for Noah beach. Decided to stay at Cape Tribulation on stead. Very nice spot to camp. Noah Beach was very busy and you need to pre book to stay as it is pretty much booked out. A nice drive along the coast. Could spend a long time exploring this part of the coast. We took the Bloomfield road not the creb track.
Tuesday was Cape trib to Elim. Was a good drive. Road in ok condition. Some really steep spots but these are concreted so good grip. River crossing are not deep, axle height. Was surprised with all the rain around not much up here though. Our drive up was planned to be easy as we have had a small amount of car trouble. The road out to Elim Beach was rough but ok, some deep pot holes. Caught us by surprise a couple of times. Some soft sand as well in spot. We could not find free camping at Elim as there are dongas everywhere now. Eddies camp is $10 per person over 12yrs old, very basic camping, toilets and shower if you light the fire. Interesting guy to talk to. Was making spears for the museum and if we were there for a while would've made us one and taken us crabbing. We planned to stay at Elim 2 nights BUT,
After setting up camp I headed off to Cape Bedford looking for a spot to fish as you do. Found some really soft sand so went to let tires down. Noticed front passenger side was missing dust cap and circlip off axle. Will just mention at this point we had swivel hub seals done in Cairns and they checked front bearing as well????. At this point I pretty much lost it. Went back to camp and found a bottle to work as dust cap. Packed trailer up in the morning and headed back to Cooktown, the road is in the same condition going the other way as when we came in lol.. Mechanic said parts will be in first thing in the morning. You might be thinking at this point what am I going to do. I did what anyone in this situation should do. I got my rods and headed down the wharf which brings me to the fish count. 2 trevally, 1 flathead and 1 queenie. This may improve tomorrow as I'm fishing tomorrow morning while car is repaired. Mackerel have been in last few morning so here's hoping. Will leave tomorrow and head up to Laura then coen, bramwell, edith falls and Seisia. HOPEFULLY. Will post when we get to seisia unless tomorrow is really good fishing lol. Have a good day all.
One last thing, the big 4 at cooktown is really nice. Very very clean amenities and nice grounds. $40 a night with big 4 member discount for 2 adults and 2 children and they let us have a late check out with the car/fishing.

Josh
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Big Woody - Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 23:24

Wednesday, Jun 10, 2009 at 23:24
hi Josh,
Sad to hear you are still having car problems.
The fishing sounds great though.

2 more sleeps for us and we expect to be at Musgrave on Sunday night, Bramwell on Monday night and then up the OTL so we wont be too far behind you.

Are you planning on driving the OTL???

We are not diverting much on the way up as I have some deadlines to meet on Thursday Island but we will take our time looking around on the way home. I have a night or 2 planned for Eddies Camp.

I don't want to put the mocka on you but if you have more dramas and need parts I am happy to pick them up on the way through which might help save some $$$.

I have invited 2 friends to join me in my car, a mechanic and a chef. hehe!!!
I expect that my role will be passing spanners and passing the butter. It doesn't get much better than that.

I imagine you will be out of range for a while shortly so have a great trip and we may cross paths at the top.

Brett
AnswerID: 369441

Reply By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:40

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:40
Jeews they have certainly changed their attitude.
When we were in Cooktown we stayed at the Big 4. We were most disgusted in the site even though we booked 6 weeks in advance. Every time the wind you had to close the doors other wise the van was full of dust. There was very little grass and not enough room to put the awning out . On top of that another van was jammed in next to us - two days both of us were out of there after demanding our money back. Regrettably no luck both of us were told take it or leave . No the park was not busy there were numerous vacant grassed sites around and no we did not previously know the other people.
Because of the attitude of the owners a scathing letter was sent to Big 4 them selves. I was told that there were quite a few complaints about the owners.
Maybe they have had a good shake up. They needed it!!

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369445

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:51

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 01:51
Forgot to mention we both left I headed North and found a nice quite park just after the bitumen ends. Endeavor Falls C/van park. Amenities were basic but spotless. Palm tree everywhere and to top it off two Cooktown orchids were in full bloom.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636868

Follow Up By: Member - Donks1 (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 08:14

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 08:14
G'day Tony

When was that. We were there in '06 and the owner was great.
Came over for a chat and a laugh and a beer.
Even on the way Nth, when we arrived late, ( 8:00pm ) and with no pre-booking, he was all smiles.
I think he had only been the owner there for a short while.
Don't remember there being a dust problem.

Donks1
FollowupID: 636873

Follow Up By: Member - Tony S (WA) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:22

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:22
Guday Donks1,
We were there in mid June 2008
There were two sites on a corner and one a bit futher across. There were two of us jammed into the corner one. They were only good for rubbish bins.

Tony
The rig

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 636960

Sponsored Links