Sway Bars

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 19:39
ThreadID: 69727 Views:2956 Replies:5 FollowUps:10
This Thread has been Archived

Related Pages

Hi All,
We had plans to start our big lap on monday but after a shake down weekend last weekend, we decided to give the camper idea up and get a caravan.Any way we found the near perfect van for our needs.
It is a 16Ft Concept Belmont Poptop. Weighs 1350Kg with a capacity to hold an additional 300Kg of gear.
What i would like to know is do you think we will need Sway Bars ?
Our tow Vehicle will be a 99 mod 2.8 T/D Rodeo.

Cheers
Us
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:04

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:04
Have you checked the towing capacity of your vehicle?
AnswerID: 369563

Follow Up By: just goin - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:10

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:10
Tow capacity is 1800kg. Yes did check . What was your thoughts?
FollowupID: 636970

Follow Up By: Lex M (Brisbane) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 21:32

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 21:32
Just wondering because RedBook appears to shows towing capacity of 1000kg for all '99 2.8dt models.

Must be wrong.
FollowupID: 636980

Follow Up By: just goin - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 21:51

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 21:51
The manual with my Rodeo indicated the 1800kg for the 4wd crew cab 99 diesel model. I will re-check but this is where I got my info from....
FollowupID: 636982

Reply By: Member - Ingo57 (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:06

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:06
What happened to the Tambo mate, you didnt like it??????
AnswerID: 369565

Follow Up By: just goin - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:13

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 20:13
Love the TAMBO - but the wife feels after our first trial run regardless of how organised we are and the camper is realistically we are going to see as much of Australia as we can in a 4 to 6 month period and will be far easier and LESS STRESSFUL for all with the ease of a caravan.

Keeping the camper for later use for many years to come.....

Caravan far more practical for now with a 2 and 5 year old.

Plan to sell the caravan on our return and will more than likely get our money back as bunk caravans are very hard to come by where we live and always in demand.

Cheers
FollowupID: 636971

Reply By: GerryP - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:13

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:13
Hi. Even if you don't think you need them, it still seems to make a big difference to the way it tows. I used to tow without and had beefy springs and polyairs fitted, but eventually tried them anyway. Wouldn't be without them now.

Cheers
Gerry
AnswerID: 369599

Follow Up By: Member -Dodger - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:19

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:19
A Tow Hitch will be required
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

Cheers Dodg.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 636988

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:20

Thursday, Jun 11, 2009 at 22:20
I once had a similar rig to yours (93 Hilux and 15' Regent pop-top.) I usually had it coupled with a Hayman Reese 550 hitch. I once did not connect the bars when delivering the van for service. I thought that at suburban speeds it would be stable. I found that it was not as stable as with the bars so that was the only trip I made without the bars.

I think you will find towing much more comfortable if you use a weight distribution hitch (WDH.) WDH is the correct terminology for what you are thinking of. The bars do not in themselves prevent sway. When you drop a van on the back of your tug you lift the front a bit. This makes the steering lighter and decreases the braking effort of the front wheels. Beefing up the rear suspension will not put the weight back onto the front wheels. Only WDH can do that. Employing WDH makes your tug more stable and a more stable tug is better equipped to control your van. If you use the correct terminology (WDH) and not call them sway bars you will understand more how they work.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 369601

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 07:49

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 07:49
Don't wish to be argumentative but there are Sway Bars as well and in the case of HR they WDH connects via them. Check out the Hayman Reese website under 'Sway Attachment'

Having said that, I agree that you would not need the sway attachment if you have the WDH set up properly.

I have a big van and so far, no issues with sway...!!
FollowupID: 637017

Follow Up By: Nomadic Navara - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:25

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:25
Don - I see you as just being argumentative, when people talk about sway bars (plural) you can safely bet your left hanger that they are not across the subject of weight distribution and are referring to WDH.

The HR site mentions "sway controllers" in the side bar menue, these are added after the WDH.

PeterD
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 637120

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:49

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:49
Hang on Peter..., I am not being argumentative any more than you...

You made a point that most people confuse WDH with sway bars and that is not strictly correct. I accept that a WDH, properly set up, will reduce sway but the fact remains, there are distinct, anti sway bars on the market and, in the case of HR at least, they work in conjunction with their WDH.

Don't put me down as an uninformed idiot just because I don't agree with you chapter and verse..., this is, after all, a forum for discussion. I only checked you in the first place since you made a definitive statement which, say what you will, is factually incorrect.
FollowupID: 637155

Follow Up By: Member - Don M (NSW) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:52

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 21:52
And I meant to add, I don't have the sway attachment and don't believe I will need such a device..., hopefully my WDH is set up correctly. I do spend a lot of time getting my weight balance right as well.
FollowupID: 637156

Reply By: paulnsw - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 06:14

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 06:14
WDH should be law not an option. If you value your life and the family and considering others on the road dont make the mistake of not buying a proper HaymenReece style WDH.
After an accident is to late to think you should have bought a WDH. With the generally poor state of roads today going without a WDH is close to suicide.
Because the speed limit is posted at 100km/hr does not mean you have to travel with your caravan at that speed. 85km/hr lets the trucks and other traffic past easily and lets you and the family have an enjoyable comfortable holiday that will save a lot of money on fuel and let you see the countryside without getting stressed and tired.
You made the right decision with the caravan. Camper trailers packing and unpacking are a nightmare. No way can you stay one night with a camper trailer and kids. Your wife would not last 6 months in a camper trailer.
AnswerID: 369621

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:13

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:13
As well as a WDH buy a pair of mirrors that allow you to see right down the sides of the van.
Despite arguments to the contrary they are compulsory in all states.

Eg if a cop is in a bad mood and gets behind your van and sticks the palm of his hand out from the walls and you cant see it here comes a ticket.
A pair of Aussie Truck mirrors are the go.

Also a UHF is handy when out in the centre and north as it allows you to talk to and hear the truckiies and let them know u see them and try to let them past.
Despite truckies bad name for swearing we havent heard the F word in 4 months from a long distance truckie. We talk to them and signal them through and they are polite and usually thank you.
There has been a few wide loads lately and its good if you get an early warning so you can find somewhere to get well off the road when a load of machinery goes past, quite often at a good rate of knots as well.

FollowupID: 637062

Sponsored Links