GPS Blues ... model opinion sought

Submitted: Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 17:48
ThreadID: 69757 Views:3227 Replies:8 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
G'D evenin all,

Well today i have had a 3rd Garmin unit fail on me! I originally bought a nuvi 760 in january, and it stopped working after 3 weeks, had to send back, it was replaced, this one worked for 4 months, again sent back and was replaced today with a 765 which lasted long enough to register on net and now wont boot up at all!

So being completely over these units, not wanting to send yet another unit back and my local shop offering outsatnding service in offering me a choice of replacement for this and they will take up the issue with garmin, I have a choice.....

Another Garmin 760... not preferrable as after a problem unit you never feel comfortable,

or a choice of the latest XL tom tom, or latest Navmans.

Any preferences in these units which anyone might care to point out, pros cons etc?

Rgds
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The Bushwhackers -NSW - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:16

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:16
Hi Ron, gee, what a bad run! I have been looking to move to a Garmin 60CSX, but lack the spare cash at the moment.... now you have me worried. I have a Tomtom One XL, it's a great unit for getting me where I am going in Sydney, (I get lost at the end of the freeway and see buildings...lol), but I can't find any provision for topographical maps. I can enter a trip in Lat/Long, but cannot rename waypoints. So, if you are only highway/major roads and towns driving, Tomtom make a great unit... for off the beaten track, something else would be recommended. My unit is about 2 yo, no problems.
Best of luck, Dave
AnswerID: 369703

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:24

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 18:24
The Garmin is a top top unit, when it was working, just my experience was not often, and I'm NOT rough on my gear, never dropped, always in case, things just not made like they used to be, its just bash em out for max profit nowadays, QA is what i'm experiencing now, replace if needs be.
FollowupID: 637110

Reply By: Ian & Sue - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:25

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:25
We have used a GPS for years and have gone through many different units, all handhelds I should add. They have been rough and tumbled in the 4WD and often left in the vehicle when the outside temps where extremely high. (We used to live in the Pilbara). Anyway, getting to the point. We have used Magellan and Garmin and find the Garmin the best. At the moment we have just updated to a Garmin Oregon 400. We where a bit (understatement) dissappointed with Magellan when we tried to update the mapping in a model which back then was only around 3 years old and they wherent interested in helping saying it was outdated. It had cost us near $800 and we were disgusted.

Reason for so many changes?? My husband loves all the new bits they put in!! Our "oldie" didnt even have a map that shows how long we have had them! Do a lot of geocaching too.
AnswerID: 369716

Reply By: Member - Doug T (NT) - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:29

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:29
You would be better off with one of these shown below, if your that hard on your gear all the other brand names will fail too.

Image Could Not Be Found
gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 369717

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:37

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 19:37
Ping there goes another rib!! Gosh that was so funny, in fact about as funny as cancer Doug!

FollowupID: 637124

Follow Up By: Member - Sigmund (VIC) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:23

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:23
Don't even need a compass ... just look for the moss on the south side of the trees.

If no trees, drive to where there are some.

If no moss, head to a wetter climate.

Then you know which way is North. Simple really.
FollowupID: 637249

Reply By: Holden4th - Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 20:57

Friday, Jun 12, 2009 at 20:57
I own a Tomtom One (V4) and I am very happy with it. It works very well in the cityscapes of both Melbourne and Sydney (including well into some of the tunnels and after that it made some good predictions as to where I was in the tunnel) and safely negotiated me through Sydney's narrow and tortured streets.

The ONE is a basic model and sells for a reasonable price. Based on my experience with it and the Garmin you owned you might like to look at at the GO series from Tomtom. This one looks good.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=773&Category=0&Lid=8
AnswerID: 369733

Reply By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:20

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 09:20
Ron

It depends on what you want to do with it.

If it is just for street navigation then the Tom Tom is excellent. I have a Go 710 which is about 3 yrs old, has taken a hammering and is bullet proof. I have a newer One XL which is also good. My issue with Tom Toms is swapping/copying maps/SD cards etc. Its not easy because of all the copy protection measures they employ. I had to download a programme called Tom Tom code generator to get maps from various parts of the world to work.

The other issue with Tom Tom is that its OS is unix. Many other GPSs use Windows CE which makes it easier to adapt the unit to other uses and run other navigating software like OziExplorer CE.

So if you want a unit to do street navigation, and run Ozi, then I'd go for a Mio or cheap Chinese variant. The Mio Moov 300 sells at Harvey Norman for about $260. The Mio Map programme isn't nearly as good as the TT though.

From other posts on this forum, we have learned that the Garmin is made in a sweatshop in Darwin by unskilled E Timorese immigrants under the supervision of an ExplorOz member :-)
AnswerID: 369769

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:25

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:25
Thanks Bob,

Against my better judgement I'm prob gonna send the Garmin back again, in the hope that I surely deserve a good one by now!

I like the unit, the fm transmitter and mp3 player is fab. (camp parties with various vehicles all tuned to the frequency = great sound system! lol)

The mapping is good, graphics clear, my only fault is its reliability, its not a quality board its built upon. The electronics are cheap poor quality units and obviously not soak tested, although what is nowadays! There are other issues admitted to me by Garmin, which i wont go into here for obvious reasons.

Despite how it may look and comments above, I am prob one of the most careful blokes ever with my gear, I have treated these units like eggs. (expect more smart comments lol ) never dropped or left in hot car, or got wet, totally 'babied' them, and done nothing to cause these failures.

Its a top unit spoiled by poor quality manufacturing, and sadly the idea of quality control nowadays is just replace anything that fails as this is cheaper than integrating quality control into manufacturing lines.

Heres hoping to finally getting a reliable unit from Garmin.

Regards

Ron
FollowupID: 637199

Reply By: Gronk - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:08

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:08
I know slightly off topic, but I have been looking into GPS units for ages, but as a computer dill, I can't seem to work out what unit will do both ( and is easy to set up )

What would be nice is a unit approx 8 inches big, of course does street stuff, but also does something like Ozi, is very easy to setup ( that easy my grandmother could do it ...or me !!!! ) and costs approx $500 ???

Is there such a thing ??

I have seen other peoples small size units, but as I now need reading glasses, it would mean stopping to try and read the small screen !!
AnswerID: 369773

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:17

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 10:17
Why do you need to watch it.

Any decent unit has spoken instructions so you just listen.

Is much safer to watch where you are going then look at a screen.

I have Tom Tom on my mobile and it just sits on the tranny console and talks to me and I get there and can barely read the maps at that distance with or without glasses.

FollowupID: 637196

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:57

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:57
Didn't think you could get spoken instructions for things like Ozi ??

So, can you tell it where to go ( say the simpson desert ) and you get spoken instructions along the way ??
FollowupID: 637214

Follow Up By: Member - Graham H (QLD) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:34

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:34
Was refering to TOMTOM which doesnt do offroad.
OZi may not but Trackranger seems to Not entirely sure but dont use either.

FollowupID: 637220

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:45

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 14:45
Thats why I was asking about an off road GPS.....don't really need one for the city ( although would come in handy for the rare times I have to visit the big smoke )
FollowupID: 637225

Follow Up By: Bob of KAOS - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 21:11

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 21:11
Gronk

I've just ordered a 7" one on eBay for $150 delivered.
I am going to install Ozi CE on it, as I have done on other units.
That may be the way for you to go.

Bob
FollowupID: 637274

Follow Up By: Gronk - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 23:14

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 23:14
Hello Bob, could you supply a link or name of the unit you have ordered, please ??
FollowupID: 637277

Reply By: Robin Miller - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:32

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 12:32
After 3 goes its probably time to give up that path and time to upgrade to a Garmin 276c while you can still get them new Ron , different type of construction.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 369789

Reply By: Louie the fly (SA) - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 15:37

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 15:37
Ron, have you taken this up directly with Garmin? Sure your retailer is providing excellent service, but it would be good to hear Garmin's take on what's happening.

Just my $0.02 worth (incl. GST)

Louie
AnswerID: 369817

Follow Up By: Ron173 - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:04

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:04
Louie,

I have been dealing with Garmin since day 1, it is Garmin that have replaced the unit twice now.

The retailer merely offered his assistance as he has seen the drama I have had, and to save another return. Really a top bloke and above and beyond his responsibility, just great service.

I will be returning it to Garmi HQ again though, as I really like the unit and would be great if I could finally get a reliable one.

tom tom good but doesnt do as much as the Garmin.

So either they are pretty poorly made or I have been extremely unlucky or a combination of both.

Rgds

Ron
FollowupID: 637247

Follow Up By: DesF - Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:33

Saturday, Jun 13, 2009 at 18:33
Him Ron , I bought a 760 from DSE and it worked great but it would not let me transfer data from the unit to the PC , track logs etc, so I contacted DSE and they just said return it and they gave me another one ( which was 6 months newer, you can check to see when the maps were unlocked). and it has been great,
I love the Bluetooth and the FM side, when we are in the city , the second car can hear the voice instructions as well , giving them ample time to follow.
You have to be within a 150 mtrs or so.
My mate has Garmin Topo mapping on his now and to me that is the best Offroad and city program , it actually has more small streets and lanes etc in town marked than CN9.
I have loaded Shonky and Tracks 4 for my bush work and I am very pleased with the unit as a whole.
Cheers Des.
FollowupID: 637252

Sponsored Links